Raised Planters

• 4 Replies

MalcW

Raised Planters
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:21 »
We have a couple of raised planters we were given earlier this year. Once tarted up we just filled them with multi compost and grew varying salads and carrots, and they did quite well. they have metal hoops and plastic covers, not fitted at the moment, so they can be kind of mini polytunnels.

Two questions: What, if anything, should we do to liven up the soil for next year? I'd like to do carrots again and am a bit worried about manure being a bit too rich, though I guess I could add just a bit, or manure one and leave the other?

Also, is it worth doing anything in them now, with the covers on?

Thanks,

Malc

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
Re: Raised Planters
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 16:56 »
My local nursery sells loose soil conditioner, I plan to mix this with well rotted horse manure and some sharp sand (1-1-1) and fill a large container for carrots and parsnips next year, the containers will be the size of half a water butt and I will stand them on two pallets to lift them up high enough to avoid carrot fly.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 18:10 »
Blood Fish and Bone is the soil friendly alternative to Growmore fertilizer.

Bit late to sow anything now, IMO but you might be able to get winter salad stuff from local nursery, or buy a pack of living salad from somewhere like Lidl or Aldi and plant the baby lettuces out separately to grow on.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 16:51 »
It is generally advised to avoid manure for root crops such as carrots or parsnips because it seems to cause them to fork when growing.

I also don't know enough about the life cycle / incubation habits of the carrot root fly to know whether it is likely to overwinter in existing compost and be ready to attack new crops next year.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 16:52 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 17:30 »
You night be able to get some baby spinach going, but with the covers on.

I'm trying to get some away now, but may have left it too late - a few plants have germinated, but they're down on The Patch, and in the open, but, if it does work in a planter, a spinach salad in winter is a real treat!

xx
Raised planters

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2017, 10:30
by Robster
xx
Raised Planters

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 18, 2011, 17:44
by Yorkie
xx
Planters

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 16, 2020, 14:48
by mrsbean
xx
Garlic planters

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post December 18, 2008, 13:02
by Potiron

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 34 queries.