Fight the blight...

• 42 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Re: Fight the blight...
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2016, 12:07 »
Lost all our outside plants but managed to move the unaffected plants from the greenhouse - growing in pots this year , have lost some from greenhouse.

Regarding Bordeaux Mixture There is another thread in this section ' Bordeaux (for Blight) which gives a link that says that the product has been withdrawn.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Growster...

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2016, 14:04 »
Yes, we found at our local GC that they weren't selling Bordeaux any more.

Salmo

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2016, 19:17 »
Received a blight warning today.

chillimummy

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2016, 19:31 »
My tomatoes in greenhouse so far are fine, fingers crossed but put one of my outside tomatoes on bonfire as blight. Others outside seem ok so hoping for sun to ripen now  ;)
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Tenhens

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2016, 22:32 »
Flicking through the October 2015 issue of Gardeners' World and came across the following ( which I must have missed) in the Question Time section -

" Q ,  What replaces Bordeaux Mixture? ( Questioners name )

A ,  Pippa ( Greenwood) Says: This fungicide was banned from sale nearly a year ago, and there is no direct alternative. However , many fungal diseases can be controlled by regularly removing infected leaves , reducing leaf wetness, and improving air circulation and growing resistant varieties."

Disposal of infected plants appears to divide , two of my books both advise against composting while I have also read opinion that composting is OK. It would appear that one follows what one is happy to do.

I often refer back to previous years magazines in a particular month , rather than leaving them on the shelf , the memory is not what it was!!

Growster...

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 06:44 »
Reading old mags and books is always a worthwhile pastime, Ten! I've still got Percy Thrower's 'In your garden' on the shelf, and it regularly gets a peek!

Just as an update on the two 'rogue/saint' Crimson Crush plants on The Patch; they're still going strong! The fruit is still firm and most of it is turning to ripeness now, but apart from a somewhat bedraggled look, the best one is making a fist of keeping at least a couple of pounds of unblemished fruit on the march!

I've saved lots of seed for next year, and will see what happens then...

jaydig

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2016, 11:00 »
Reading old mags and books is always a worthwhile pastime, Ten! I've still got Percy Thrower's 'In your garden' on the shelf, and it regularly gets a peek!

Just as an update on the two 'rogue/saint' Crimson Crush plants on The Patch; they're still going strong! The fruit is still firm and most of it is turning to ripeness now, but apart from a somewhat bedraggled look, the best one is making a fist of keeping at least a couple of pounds of unblemished fruit on the march!

I've saved lots of seed for next year, and will see what happens then...

I've still got a few tomatoes on my outdoor Crimson Crush plants, but they now look as if they are finally going down with a bit of blight.  From eight plants I have picked almost forty pounds of tomatoes, so definitely worth doing again. I am also going to try Mountain Magic next year, as quite a few have commented that they are very good.

Salmo

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2016, 12:59 »
Disposal of infected plants appears to divide , two of my books both advise against composting while I have also read opinion that composting is OK. It would appear that one follows what one is happy to do.

Blight can only survive on living plant material. Once the tomato/potato tops are dead and composting the blight spores will die. However, if tops are dumped on top of the heap and not covered they could still spread spores for a few days until they whither and die. There is always a temptation to put unusable potato tubers on the heap but they can survive the winter and spread blight in the Spring. One approach is to put tops into plastic bags which can be tied up and left to die before adding them to the heap.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2016, 17:58 »
I kept it at bay with bordeaux mix applied every 4 weeks in  june july and august. I noticed some of my plants are succumbing now, but it's a lot slower at this time of year and it doesn' t matter as i got my crop in.
I don't know what i'll do when my stash runs out. I don't have a greenhouse and have a total devotion to my tomatoes.  I read that French wine growers can still use it, I'm holidaying in France next summer and i will try my hardest to get some. (maybe I shouldn't be saying that on a public forum!)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2016, 18:47 »
I kept it at bay with bordeaux mix applied every 4 weeks in  june july and august. I noticed some of my plants are succumbing now, but it's a lot slower at this time of year and it doesn' t matter as i got my crop in.
I don't know what i'll do when my stash runs out. I don't have a greenhouse and have a total devotion to my tomatoes.  I read that French wine growers can still use it, I'm holidaying in France next summer and i will try my hardest to get some. (maybe I shouldn't be saying that on a public forum!)

There is nothing to stop you buying the ingredients and mixing it yourself, as a preventative measure. Just try to keep it off the soil.

Wanted to update on Crimson Crush. I found a plant today I had overlooked, and although the leaves looked  a bit sorry for themselves, the remaining large green tomatoes were completely blight free. Amazing!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2016, 18:48 »
(maybe I shouldn't be saying that on a public forum!)
I'm sorry, but we really shouldn't be discussing doing something that is illegal.

What you do is of course up to you, but the Forum can't be seen as encouraging other people to do the same thing.

Growster...

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2016, 19:35 »
You're right of course, Mums!

I remember watching a gardening programme about champion leek growing, and the chap from way up north would feed his leeks with a secret recipe!

And the final key ingredient for a thirty gallon drum of his own mixture?

A bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale!

I think I know what I'd do with such a delicacy..;0)

Tenhens

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2016, 22:13 »
You're right of course, Mums!

I remember watching a gardening programme about champion leek growing, and the chap from way up north would feed his leeks with a secret recipe!

And the final key ingredient for a thirty gallon drum of his own mixture?

A bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale!

I think I know what I'd do with such a delicacy..;0)

I'll send it to Tenhens!!       I'll give you my address , wrap it well and forward it to North Derbyshire!!! :D :D :D , Happy to accept any multi buy ( BOGOF ) offers!!

xx
Aspirin to fight blight...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 11:47
by cadalot
xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Can't fight it any longer!!!

Started by lmpd on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:42
by yorkiegal
xx
Fight to the finish

Started by anchorman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 10:03
by Norfolkgrey

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 30 queries.