First squash!

• 7 Replies

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
First squash!
« on: July 10, 2009, 18:24 »
What a difference some sun makes!  :D

Last year we managed to harvest 16 squashes but only just, and we had to wait until September for the first one.

This year I've just picked 5 gem squashes (all of which died entirely last year) and am gloating over the enormous range (and size) of the other squashes on the way - red Kuri, Blue Hubbard, Winter Festival, Butternut... Can't wait - and it looks as if we won't have to wait too long!

Dover Sole and Gem Squash tonight  :tongue2:
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

SAMANTHA MOLLY

Re: First squash!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 18:33 »
Congratulation, i love squash, as does the baby.
I have some pati pans, about the size of a grapefruit, how do i know when to harvest? also i have two very small squash which were early developers but are going a very dark shade of yellow....is this when to pick? If so do i need to get these off to encourage a higher yield?
Thanks for any help.
s

Babyshoes

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 20:45 »

This year I've just picked 5 gem squashes (all of which died entirely last year) and am gloating over the enormous range (and size) of the other squashes on the way...

Dover Sole and Gem Squash tonight  :tongue2:

Mmmm, gem squash. We are growing some but no fruit yet. Where did you get yours? We couldn't find any seeds in this country at all, so had some brought out from Africa. The price of them in the shops when you can find them is ridiculous, so I do hope we get some! We just shoved them in the ground and they grew, so fingers crossed here! Any hints or tips for a complete newbie?  :blush:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 21:08 »
These do Little Gem, if that's the right sort :D

http://www.mammothonion.co.uk/shop/5/index.htm

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 21:28 »
Congratulation, i love squash, as does the baby.
I have some pati pans, about the size of a grapefruit, how do i know when to harvest? also i have two very small squash which were early developers but are going a very dark shade of yellow....is this when to pick? If so do i need to get these off to encourage a higher yield?
Thanks for any help.
s

i'd say that if they're grapefruit sized already, pick them! you'll then encourage lots more. we've done these for two years, and they're lovely small (can cook them like courgettes) - we also had success leaving larger ones (small grapefruit sized) to dry in the kitchen, and then roasting them throughout the winter. i think the rule with summer squash, like patty pans, is that the more you pick, the more you get (like courgettes.... which we're already having to look up alternative recipes for, so that other half doesn't go on courgette strike...)

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:20 »
We got the gem squash from some gem squash! So I am pleased they have come up true as I believe squashes are very promiscuous  ???.

Our first gems were sweet and delicious but still a little green. They ripen fine off the plant though so the others will sit in our kitchen for a week.

Patty pans are like suimmer squash, I believe. I would say pick 'em and eat 'em the smaller the better. And don't be surprised if you are inundated with squash! I was drowned in Early Prolific Straghtneck the first year I had the allotment, the nieghbours used to run away when they saw me coming  :blink:

SAMANTHA MOLLY

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 11:33 »
Thanks for the advise, i've just harvested a few for lunch!!
Hopefully i will be over run like the strawbs, another dinner plate full today, and yesterdays are all sat waiting to be eaten, jam day i think! :-)

x
S

Babyshoes

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 23:51 »
These do Little Gem, if that's the right sort :D

http://www.mammothonion.co.uk/shop/5/index.htm

Oooh, yes, that's them. They also do spaghetti squash, hurrah! :) I think I will be buying from them for next year! Ta muchly for the link!  :)

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
squash

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2018, 10:51
by Kleftiwallah
xx
What to do with squash?

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 15:27
by mumofstig
xx
squash

Started by hoporus on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 20:22
by hoporus

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 33 queries.