Transplanting Kohl Rabi plants

• 6 Replies

dementedhornet

Transplanting Kohl Rabi plants
« on: July 12, 2009, 15:51 »
Hello all, I am a newbi on this site although i have been lurking for a short while. Anyway i would like some advice please. I have sowed some kohl rabi seeds a few weeks ago and they have come up. some are quite tall  but quite spindly. I think that they might need thinning, so that they could bulk out. I was wondering if anyone has ever transplanted the thining and got any produce from them. Can anyone help please. Thanks any replies.

ben

Re: Transplanting Kohl Rabi plants
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 18:24 »
Like most plants, if you can transplant without disturbing the root system too much, then they will probably be fine - but thinning by its nature probably means you'll have problems removing them from the soil without disturbing the roots, and without upsetting their neighbours.

Brassicas like their space, so you definitely need to thin them out if they are looking cramped.

If you have loads of spare space, then transplant them and see how they go. If you are short on space, then I wouldn't bother.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 19:19 »
we transplanted ours and they are all doing well.  Trouble is it was OH's decision to plant them and we have loads but it is something I have never even bought from a supermarket before, let alone cooked with.... Hope I can find recipes and we like it or it will end up as pig feed!  :)
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

dementedhornet

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 19:23 »
Thank you Ben. I don't think that i have anything to lose really, so i will have a go at transplanting them. I did use some of the young tops to day for dinner like Spring greens  and they were ok. Right now i'm off to plant the rest of the thinnings. Thanks again for your advice.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 19:24 »
I have done it with turnip thinning. less than half survived. i just pulled them out and used a dipper to replant. u will need to do it when the weather isn't too dry and sunny. now is a good time as it’s cool. u will need to water every day for a few days at least if not for a week ( if it doesn't rain).

they won't do much straight away after you replant.

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 22:41 »
we transplanted ours and they are all doing well.  Trouble is it was OH's decision to plant them and we have loads but it is something I have never even bought from a supermarket before, let alone cooked with.... Hope I can find recipes and we like it or it will end up as pig feed!  :)

I had some for lunch today and they were ok. Less than size of a tennis ball as recommended (some I saw at Hampton Court yesterday were the size of a kid's football - must have been inedible!!)- didn't peel - just steamed for about 15 mins, then sliced, fried in butter and added  lemon juice and parsley at the end a la Jane Grigson. Perfectly decent vegetable cooked like that. I'll eat it again.
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:19 »
sounds delicious, I will try them thatta way, thanks Chiswickian

xx
Kohl Rabi

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 01:09
by colin120
xx
Kohl rabi

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 20:21
by Growster...
xx
Kohl Rabi

Started by Boothy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 18:22
by flatcap
xx
Kohl rabi

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 22:18
by surbie100

Page created in 0.623 seconds with 36 queries.