What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

jmc1949

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2055 on: August 02, 2013, 13:16 »
Did a lot of weeding and harvesting this morning. Dug up some King Edward spuds, picked lots of drawf runner beans, pak choi, lettuce, radish, spring onions and some red baron onions, broad beans, also pulled up a few purple top milan turnips. Cleared and tidied the pea bed, then planted out a dozen little gem lettuce and sowed some radish and rocket.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2056 on: August 02, 2013, 13:48 »
Picked a few bits and pieces then planted out some more lettuce and perpetual spinach.

Sweetpea C

« Reply #2057 on: August 02, 2013, 13:50 »
No plot visit but have wages war on the weeds in the garden after being away for 2 weeks.... borders and beds look almost respectable although I'm a bit lost with a night flight and my watch, phone and house clock all telling different times  ??? never has there been a more appropriate smiley - I definitely do look like this one!!!

BQ - is the baby coming?  Squeak :D
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Goosegirl

« Reply #2058 on: August 02, 2013, 14:53 »
Watered my sweet corn and dwarf French beans in the greenhouse, then weeded my asparagus bed and trimmed back hawthorn hedge and gravel path until my back started up again. Sat on bench and pondered tomorrow's jobs such as harvesting more dwarf French beans and pots, gently lifting bent-over onions before harvesting, then need to go into ornamental garden for more trimming.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2059 on: August 02, 2013, 17:12 »
Not enough  >:(

I decided I would have a go at building the shed on my own but after several failed attempts realised that I really do need 2 people as it is impossible to hold the panels and screw them together at the same time. I was hoping it was going to be like flat pack furniture that always said 2 people but that I have always done single handedly but obviously not - so that's another 10-11 days I have to wait until I stand a chance of getting it made :(  By this point I was in a bit of a grump as my other main planned job was to plant out the new brassicas.... That still haven't arrived.

Sop I just ended up pottering, hanging the onions upside down on chicken mesh and bringing home the tiny ones to pickle. I should really have continued with the major weeding/clearing section but I was too grumpy and not in the mood. Hopefully some cooking will sort that out tonight.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2060 on: August 02, 2013, 19:38 »
No baby yet but we are having a night off the plot, why because florence has gone into her big girl bed.   :unsure: planning on doing an early visit in the morning depending how much sleep we get tonight  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #2061 on: August 02, 2013, 22:45 »
Took some compostable waste to the plot this evening. At home Mr S cut the grass & roughly :wacko: did the edges. I sorted out the pots & put them all back on the patio. Put all the extra plants together to make watering easier,goodness knows what I'm going to do with them all-car boot maybe. Planted out my dahlia's after pruning them down as they'd already flowered,I'm sure in 2 weeks they'll be in bud again.Discarded some of the plants that i'd sown but had got dried out in their modules & didn't recover.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #2062 on: August 02, 2013, 23:10 »
Finished planting out the last of the leeks.
Managed to collect off freecycle a compost bin and a blue water butt type container.

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2063 on: August 02, 2013, 23:22 »
Watered the toms/chillies and peppers. Brought home spuds, carrots, french beans, peas, spring onions and red onions ( the bolted ones) - some went to the mother in law and some to a neighbour (80+ years old who broke her arm two days ago). Put some onions to dry in the greenhouse. Kept expecting the forecast thunderstorm but it's not happened - yet!

grendel

« Reply #2064 on: August 03, 2013, 10:38 »

I decided I would have a go at building the shed on my own but after several failed attempts realised that I really do need 2 people as it is impossible to hold the panels and screw them together at the same time. I was hoping it was going to be like flat pack furniture that always said 2 people but that I have always done single handedly but obviously not - so that's another 10-11 days I have to wait until I stand a chance of getting it made :(  By this point I was in a bit of a grump as my other main planned job was to plant out the new brassicas.... That still haven't arrived.

Sop I just ended up pottering, hanging the onions upside down on chicken mesh and bringing home the tiny ones to pickle. I should really have continued with the major weeding/clearing section but I was too grumpy and not in the mood. Hopefully some cooking will sort that out tonight.
screw a piece of bar on one side and use it like a prop to hold that piece upright while you sort out the join.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

grendel

« Reply #2065 on: August 03, 2013, 10:41 »
I was up the plot by 6.30 this morning (3 of us all arrived at the same time). picked peas and beans, dug some onions, garlic and potatoes, then 8.30 off to the other plot to do the same, finished at 10, now just got 2 1/2 buckets of peas and beans to sort out.
Grendel

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2066 on: August 03, 2013, 11:38 »

screw a piece of bar on one side and use it like a prop to hold that piece upright while you sort out the join.

Yeah, I could do. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and wait for fiancé to help on his next set of days off. I know he will help (even though he will hate every second of it) - I was just hoping I wouldn't have to go through all that 'fun' with him  >:(

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2067 on: August 03, 2013, 11:48 »
Nothing so far, but I did get a vurry vurry nice new lawnmower last weekend off the auction site that-not-be-named. A Husqvarna R43S Self Drive. Sorely needed as I have large front and back lawns, live by myself, work full time and have a full allotment :) So spent a good hour this morning mowing away and emptying the thing every 5 minutes because it was full (quite long grass). Will do it again during the week before I go away so I don't come back to a meadow ;)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2068 on: August 03, 2013, 13:25 »
Planted (where the broad beans used to be) 2 rows of 'crimson forest' spring onions, 2 rows 'French breakfast' radish, 3 rows of beetroot 'choggia' and 3 rows of 'purple top milan' turnips.
There is also 9 perpetual spinach plants in this bed too.

Picked some herbs and Tuscan kale for tea.
Also furtled around my vales sovereign tatties - looking good, good sizes
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 13:44 by devonbarmygardener »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2069 on: August 03, 2013, 13:34 »

I decided I would have a go at building the shed on my own but after several failed attempts realised that I really do need 2 people as it is impossible to hold the panels and screw them together at the same time. I was hoping it was going to be like flat pack furniture that always said 2 people but that I have always done single handedly but obviously not - so that's another 10-11 days I have to wait until I stand a chance of getting it made

I build my sheds on my own.  What you need is what a builder calls "A dead Man".  Its a length of timber with a cross piece at one end.  With this you jam the end, smallest piece of the shed roughly on the base.  Offer up a side then put one screw to hold them together.  (Get a power screwdriver drill).  Then offer the other end and one screw, finally the other side with a screw.  Pull the box onto the base correctly but do not screw it down yet.  Go round each corner and put the three screws per corner in properly, removing the earlier temporary screw.
Fit the roof panels, which if pent you have previously covered with felt.  If its pitched then cover one half and fit the felt onto the second half leaving a 6" flap.
Go inside and screw the roof down, this will pull the shed true and square.  Do a final position on the base and screw the walls to the base.  If a pitched roof, the flap will need to be secured.  Do not use clout nails, waste of time and will split the wood.  Use staples to secure the felt.  Much neater.
A Cold beer and admire new shed.

Tools required.  Power driver, Hammer, stapler, 6 pack of beer.

You make it sound so easy  :D

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 30 queries.