egg storage

• 10 Replies

bramford

egg storage
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:19 »
hi folks
Just a quick question about where you store your eggs as there seems to be some conflict over where is best.
I keep mine in egg boxes in the kitchen ready to be sold (I label them so that I know how old they are) and on the sign outside I say they must be used with-in three weeks (defra states i must put this) but how long will they be ok for and would I be better storing them in the fridge

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: egg storage
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:27 »
I keep some of mine in a cool room in boxes ready sale and those for us in the kitchen on a egg skelter.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:25 »
I keep mine in the fridge but this is just a habit from when I had a cockerel. However, Katie Thear recommended keeping eggs refridgerated, on the other hand the supermarkets do not sell them from the fridge :)

It would seem the choice is yours :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:40 »
a bit off thread, do you have to have them 'stamped'now before you are allowed to sell them. I only ask as I buy mine from a chap at the allotment,up until last Christmas they weren't stamped & now they are. When I first noticed I asked him & he said he was getting some from a friend who had a farm while his were't laying so well. But last week I asked him again as they are now always stamped & he said Defra won't let him sell them without. He assures me they are free range but I liked the idea that they were from his hens at the plot.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:47 »
When I got my kitchen registered with the local environmental health people, I asked the inspector about egg storage and she said that I should keep them in the fridge and take them out just before cooking.

I know none of the supermarkets keep them fridgerated but I do as the environmental health inspector tells me 'cos I don't want any twubble!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 09:16 »
If your eggs are for sale, then don't put them in the fridge first, as you are changing the temperatures when you take them out again to sell.  Apparently changing temperatures are not god for the eggs.

For your own consumption, they say that eggs stay fresher for longer if kept in the fridge, then brought back to room temps before using.

I keep all mine in trays in the utility room, but they never get older than a week.  Even if I don't sell any they soon go.

As to stamping.  You should be telling people when to use them by.  I don't stamp individual eggs, but bought a stamper that puts the use by date on a little label which I then stick on the egg box.  You can just put a notice outside each time with the use by date, but then you'd have to have a new notice every time you put them out.

I think the use by date is supposed to be 3 weeks from the date of being laid.  Although fresh eggs will last longer than that given the right conditions.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 09:20 »
No it's not a date stamp but a number of the farm I believe,the chap is saying they go to the farm & then they get stamped.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 09:22 »
GrannieAnnie
Grandmother of the Forums

From Lincolnshire

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:16 AM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your eggs are for sale, then don't put them in the fridge first, as you are changing the temperatures when you take them out again to sell.  Apparently changing temperatures are not god for the eggs.

For your own consumption, they say that eggs stay fresher for longer if kept in the fridge, then brought back to room temps before using.

That's interesting, I didn't know that, Something else I have learned here.

A good tip about labelling them, as I do sell some of the spares.
Not sure how I will go about organising the ones for sale and theones I use for my cake sales tho'. Will need to think about that one :unsure:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 10:05 »
No it's not a date stamp but a number of the farm I believe,the chap is saying they go to the farm & then they get stamped.

Oh yes, if they are stamped at the farm, they will have all that info on, but I thought you meant for people selling their own eggs.  Sorry, miscommunication!!  :(  Or are you saying the chap at the allotment is taking HIS eggs to the farm for stamping?  If so that is a lot of dodo and he is buying them from the farm and selling them on as his own.

The farm stamp tells you the holding number of the farm if they are UK produced and whether they are free range, barn or battery.

Prod

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 13:36 »
I dont sell mine though I do get between 2 and 3 dozen a week from my 5 girls I keep them in the fridge in labelled boxes so I know which are freshest though sometimes I do cheat as my Ancona's eggs are the best for boiled egg brekkies.  I give at least a third to my neighbours who are a rota now as they like them so much!!!

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 21:05 »
  .....Or are you saying the chap at the allotment is taking HIS eggs to the farm for stamping?  If so that is a lot of dodo and he is buying them from the farm and selling them on as his own.

The farm stamp tells you the holding number of the farm if they are UK produced and whether they are free range, barn or battery.

Yes that's what he implied, I also thought it was a load of *****. Only been getting them like that since Christmas. He does admit he does buy some in. Not sure what to do he only charges £1.50 a doz

xx
egg storage

Started by Debsie on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 05, 2010, 17:10
by SkipRat
xx
Poo storage

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 13:28
by Dominic
question
egg storage

Started by ychook on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 09:07
by Sassy
xx
Metal Storage Bin

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 20:43
by matilda duck

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 35 queries.