Strange occurrance?!

• 9 Replies

zanneray

Strange occurrance?!
« on: June 24, 2008, 17:57 »
Hello all,

I am new to chickens, but thoroughly enjoying it so far! We have had 3 pol hybrid birds since april. I just wanted to pick your brains about something that happened this afternoon. One of our chickens laid a soft shelled egg on the grass, 2 minutes later she laid another one! I was very surprised and wouldn't have believed if I hadn't actually seen it happen. [both had yolks] I did think that she had laid a hard shelled one this morning as she tends to lay alot earlier than the other 2. Is this something to be concerned about or is it just one of those things?

Any advice gratefully received,
Zanneray  :)

compostqueen

Strange occurrance?!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 18:01 »
there are loads of posts here about soft shells so I'd have a look through the Hen House posts. I have hens but don't know the answer as Aunt Sal and Grannie Annie are the resident eggsperts and will put you straight on all your henny questions. Fancy her laying two in succession  :shock:

I think the eggs will come good once they get into the swing of laying and as long as they have good layers pellets and fresh water they should be ace. Easy on the treats though

Jellyhead

Strange occurrance?!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 18:04 »
Looking forward to seeing the replies to this one as the same thing happened to Shirley. For me I am 100% sure, as she has been laying the most odd shaped triangulary type eggie of which there was one papery and one normal the other day. Since then, no abnormal shaped eggies but I am not sure she is still laying :shock:  :?  :D
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

FCG

Strange occurrance?!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 18:12 »
Had she laid before? Just asking the obvious. What grit are you giving them?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Strange occurrance?!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 18:48 »
I'd not be concerned at this point.  She's young and still refining the art of egg laying.

Make sure all the birds have oyster shell available all the time as well as their layers pellets.

zanneray

Strange occurrance?!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 19:35 »
Thank you for your speedy replies!
She is a good layer, laying nearly every day [hard shells]. The hens have layer pellets available to them all day, and also oyster shell and grit and I try not to give them too many treats, usually a couple of times a week.
So it might just be a hiccup!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Strange occurrance?!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 21:44 »
Let us know if it doesn't improve  :!:

Vember

Strange occurrance?!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 22:19 »
When my goose laid two soft shelled eggs within an hour of each other I was really concerned. She seemed very distant and out of sorts, she is now a ok and touch wood I've not had anymore problems.

I was told by an expert in the Goose field that it's impossible for a goose to lay so close togeather normally 35 ish hours gap, she said they only explaination as far as she was concerned was my Goose had been egg bound.

Don't know if that info helps ya or not but thought I'd share :)

Kate and her Ducks

Strange occurrance?!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 22:21 »
Suppose this would make sense as they find it difficult to pass the soft eggs so may be one caught up the one in front.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

zanneray

Strange occurrance?!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 13:26 »
Very interesting!
She seems fine in herself today doing her usual eating, drinking scratching etc, she hasn't laid, but I didn't really expect her to, after the 2 yesterday pm!

xx
strange egg

Started by GARRY on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 23:11
by GARRY
xx
strange hen

Started by dannyboy2010 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 19:28
by Chookiechook
xx
Strange air sac

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 15:14
by redspookycooky
xx
Strange

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 01, 2011, 13:45
by yellowpenguin

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 32 queries.