Cous cous

• 25 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Cous cous
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 20:35 »
I can also add, as I forgot to mention, some cooked chicken meat as in roast leftovers chopped through it are very tasty. :D

In other words anything bar the kitchen sink.  :D

Well not really..  :wub: I've only ever added cooked chicken meat rather than any other cooked meat or fish, but I know it just adds enough to make it a more fulfilling dish. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 21:11 »
What I like about couscous or bulgar wheat is that you can soak them in just boiled water. I understand that quinoa needs to be cooked but would like to stand corrected on that fact..  :unsure:

You do need to cook it Arugula, but it is a nice chewy texture as Yorkie says and soaks up flavours like bulgar and couscous  :)

Its a source of a complete protein and high in nutrients which is why I think Gillian McKeith liked it so much  :)

Springlands

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 21:17 »
Unfortunately every time I hear Gillian McKeith mentioned I remember her fascination with poo.  :wacko:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 21:27 »
 :lol:  She was a bit obsessive wasn't she  ::)

Quinoa has been popular in health food shops for a long time.  I first came across it as I used to be a vegetarian years ago.   Nice to see it in mainstream supermarkets.

I also buy the wholewheat couscous.  Much better texture than the normal stuff  :)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 07:17 »
Unfortunately every time I hear Gillian McKeith mentioned I remember her fascination with poo.  :wacko:

:lol: Perhaps that's why I'm not keen on trying quinoa. :D

I think I'll make a tabbouleh for tomorrow's lunch salad; I have leftover chicken meat from yesterday to add. :)

Trillium

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 14:45 »
What I like about couscous or bulgar wheat is that you can soak them in just boiled water. I understand that quinoa needs to be cooked but would like to stand corrected on that fact..  :unsure:

As Yorkie says, quinoa needs to be cooked, about 20 minutes, pretty much the same as rice. I add broth rather than plain water for a nicer taste. Even my fussy OH will eat it.

I often cook up more quinoa than I need for a meal and either refrigerate or freeze portions for another time so I'm not always cooking. The texture remains the same, very nice.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 14:50 »
That's a good tip Trillium. I could add quinoa to the list when I have a bean cookathon for the freezer. :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 21:30 »
I didn't know you could freeze it cooked.

Mind you, it's not cheap  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 04:22 »
No, it's not cheap. I shopped around a lot before buying mine - organic quinoa at Costco, 4 lbs for $10. A few months ago the price hit $12 so I'm searching again. At the bulk stores they want $5 a lb !!  :blink:

We're off to Michigan, USA in a week or so and I know they sell the same brand, same weight for $7 so I'll stock up. A little goes a long way.

I used to do a really nice side dish with dried cranberries and nuts, but have misplaced the recipe  :ohmy:

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 17:35 »
Does anyone have a nice recipe for flavouring cous cous - cold for salads preferably. Thank you.  :)
One I use is very thai inspired.  I use chicken stock instead of plain water to the cous cous.  Add chilli to preference, corriander, fish sauce, lime juice, chopped garlic and ginger, crushed peanuts, salt and pepper to tatse. 

Springlands

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 18:25 »
Mmmmmm - that sounds yummy - will add it to the collection. Thank you.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 36 queries.