Novice taking on ex batts! Help...

• 2 Replies

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
Novice taking on ex batts! Help...
« on: October 20, 2009, 15:56 »
I know this may not be a great idea but they're a 'surprise' from my previously reluctant hubbie. I've ALWAYS wanted chooks and now my dog (best in the world God bless her - gentle lurcher) has died  :( I think he thinks I need something to look after!
Anyway...
Can I put the coop in the shade? It would be on the edge of the wood (north side), sheltered from frosts but never in the sun. It will have a large run attached and I hope to let the little darlins out in the day once they've found their feet (and feathers).

Also can I use wood that's been through the shredder as deep litter on the floor of the coop? With straw on top?

Should I put some heat in the coop as my knitting skills may not be up to little jackets ::)! If so how warm to set the thermostat? We have an oil filled rad we could plug in.

I really appreciate the wealth of know how and experience on this site!!

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
Re: Novice taking on ex batts! Help...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 17:53 »
They don't need any heat ... they wear feather coats! :) Shade in the summer is fine ... can you move the coop around? When you clean it out, if you can leave it open on a sunny morning, sunlight is supposed to help kill off the red mite.

Straw will get wet ... but I plan to use wood from the shredder once we have any!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

karlooben

Re: Novice taking on ex batts! Help...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 18:10 »
if this is your first time at keeping chickens then think carefully about having ex batts , they probably will come to you with hardly any feather so at this time of year yes they will need a nice dry warm coop  {shavings is just as good as straw on floor of coop nothing esle is needed under that } also they will need to be carefully checked each day as some may be very weak on thier legs until they have built up muscle . also the immune system wont be very strong so u may at times need to get them to a vet for antiboitics if any of them become will with any illness { people on here are always here to help with that side of things } .

extra feed an tlc is all they need to become healthy birds oh and also time as it could take them a while to adjust .

p.s u dont need to go plugging anything into the coop to give them heat in the mornings if you go in with them u will be surprised at how warm it gets in there with thier own body heat  :D.

theres a feed out now thats been designed with ex batts in mind so if you get any just look for the feed an u will know they are getting every thing they need to become strong healthy birds except wormers of course for that you will need flubenvet  :D the list goes on by the way feel free to ask anything u want .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
Thinking of taking in Ex Batts

Started by Ed89 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 19:35
by lmpd
xx
New ex-batts

Started by ck2day on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 20:50
by nettynoodles1
xx
Got the ex batts

Started by sandra d on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 22, 2008, 01:09
by Hawkins
xx
help with new ex batts please!!

Started by turnip on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 17:21
by karlooben

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 28 queries.