Asparagus bed size?

• 9 Replies

Windsong

Asparagus bed size?
« on: April 18, 2011, 16:17 »
Next year I would like to plant 10 crowns; 2 rows of 5 crowns. How big would I need to make the bed? Or would it be better to make 2 beds?

I have consistently read that crowns should be spaced 18 inches apart (so 7.5 for 5 crowns) but the information regarding row spacing varies. I'm also not sure if they need to be planted a certain distance from the raised bed wall (I'm thinking that the roots might get crowded if planted to closely to the wall).

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Asparagus bed size?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 16:30 »
Bear in mind that when fully established the crowns will be at least 2' in diameter, the root spread about 5' across or more!

that being the case, an 18" spacing between plants is clearly not too generous; you also need to leave room to get in between rows to weed, which I reckon means about 5' between adjacent rows.

(Seem to remember Trillium saying some of hers are growing on a terrace and have their roots constrained by a retaining wall; I'm sure that's fine as long as you don't push it too far!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 16:49 »
I've planted mine rather close together...it's a 12' x 4' bed and I've got them about 18" apart lengthwise and 1' between the rows...but they seem happy enough so far

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 16:55 »
For my main asparagus bed I planted 2 rows, each with 10 crowns, several years ago - each row is a little under 5m long.

However, on the bed I inherited on my new plot there are at least 7 crowns of length that I can work out in a raised bed that is a bit less than 2m wide. They were planted, I gather, about 5 years ago and and there are many healthy spears that have grown this year with more popping up successfully
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 16:58 by Jonajo »
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Windsong

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 19:34 »
Wow. I didn't realise that the roots spread 5' across. I knew they went deep, though.

It seems that I might be better off making 2 beds just to make sure that I don't have any problems weeding, should I need to. Would two 9'x4' beds be big enough for ten crowns?

Since we have clay soil, I was planning on making deep raised beds, does that make a difference as far as spacing?

Windsong

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:15 »
bump

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:36 »
Please don't "bump" threads Windsong (see site rules.). It's better to find a way of "refreshing" your previous post..........  ::)

Raised beds make it much easier to gain access for weeding so despite my earlier post about spacing, in your situation I'd be tempted to try and squeeze them into 1 bed rather than take 2 up (unless you've got unlimited space!)

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:52 »
I have 2 rows at 30 inches apart. Although you can walk between them I usually hoe the weeds from either side.

Windsong

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:49 »
Sorry JayG, I didn't realise that it was frowned upon in this forum. I wouldn't have done it but for the fact that it was on page 2 and I don't often see threads from page 2 answered. Anyway, I know now.  :)

I've planted mine rather close together...it's a 12' x 4' bed and I've got them about 18" apart lengthwise and 1' between the rows...but they seem happy enough so far

How many rows and crowns do you have, if you don't mind my asking?

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 00:03 »
I've just planted 10 crowns over two rows, each row is about 3 metres long.  That may be a little economical on space, but it's all I had ...

xx
What size asparagus bed?

Started by rw3272 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 12:53
by savbo
xx
Asparagus size of raised bed?

Started by utigers on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 16:07
by utigers
xx
Asparagus from seed - plant size?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 08:41
by fatcat1955
xx
2 and a half year old asparagus , spear size of a match

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2020, 17:49
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 36 queries.