Chilli peppers

• 15 Replies

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Chilli peppers
« on: April 13, 2007, 15:52 »
I have tried this year to grow some chilli peppers - jalapeno and cayenne.  I started them off in an electric propagator in my conservatory and they germinated no problem at all.  But the other day I looked at them they were all keeling over and about to die off.  They were just about to grow the first set of true leaves.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  I wondered whether I've cooked them since the temperature is pretty hot in the conservatory during the day now.

WG.

Chilli peppers
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 16:30 »
Gonnae nae dee that!  :)   Sounds like you cooked them a little early, yes.  Early enough to resow.

Welcome to the happy throng, by the way.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Chilli peppers
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 16:35 »
Thanks.  Yes I have plenty of seeds just on the off-chance that a few might die.  I didn't expect them all to die though!  I'll try starting them off again in the house so that I can keep the temperature more constant.

sclarke624

Chilli peppers
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 02:08 »
I was given some jalapenos chilli pepers last year, they germinated well in the conservatory and wouldn't stop growing outside............Only problem was nobody in the house or any friends eat them, so they were merely decorative.  I didn't really look after them either sort of tried to ignore them........mother in law gave them to us so thought I should at least put them on show.  They were still growing the beginning of October. :lol:
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

wellingtons

This year ...
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 13:22 »
... I've done well with germinating chillies and peppers, last year was a disaster.  But pretty much as soon as I've germinated them inside, I pop em out into my unheated, well ventilated greenhouse.  The plants don't race away, they become chubby and strong first then start to grow and I get better plants, and higher yields by not keeping them too warm for too long.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Chilli peppers
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 13:33 »
right thats it... I have had enough of my damn cat.. I had 14 types of chilli on the go and last night he wrecked 2 of the types, Jalapeño and joes long and down to my last Tepin now. I am going to stick the whole lot of them in the greenhouse now along with the toms.

Thankfully tis still early enough to get some more on the go... damn cat!!

wellingtons

I found out that I could grow roses from ...
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 20:37 »
... sticking the prunings in the containers to keep the damn cat out ...  :lol:

Fortunately mine never got the urge to repot my seedlings ... although one of them was rather partial to chilli sauce.   :shock:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Chilli peppers
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 20:46 »
Chilli sauce???  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

wellingtons

Yup ...
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 20:59 »
... fraid so.  And he'd do cartwheels for a lick of raspberry ripple ice cream ... but he didn't like any other flavour ...  :?

And he liked salt n vinegar crisps, coconut cake and toffees.  

Actually I have to admit to giving pretty much everything I ever ate to see if he liked it ...  :lol:  There was very little he didn't eat, although he liked pasta but he struggled with spaghetti ...  :lol:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Chilli peppers
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 21:27 »
spaghetti... Earl LOVES it.... gets stuck in his fur and cracks me up.. well I might chuck it on his back to see him flip about :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Chilli peppers
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 22:03 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
right thats it... I have had enough of my damn cat.. I had 14 types of chilli on the go and last night he wrecked 2 of the types, Jalapeño and joes long and down to my last Tepin now. I am going to stick the whole lot of them in the greenhouse now along with the toms.

Thankfully tis still early enough to get some more on the go... damn cat!!

Or you could put the chillies outside and the cat in the greenhouse!!!!  Our cat spent all of last summer sleeping in the greenhouse.  She wouldn't come in for about 3 or more months.  Then when it got colder, she suddenly appeared as if nothing unusual had happened!!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Chilli peppers
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 07:28 »
he cannot go out at the moment.. we have rats from next doors chickens and they have put rat poison all over the shop... plus yesterday in our garden I spotted 3 birds nests at eye level, so 100% cat level. 1 wren, 1 sparrow and 1 wood pigeon.. So the poor * will be kept in a little bit longer..

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
Chilli peppers
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 09:53 »
for the last week our cat has spent most of her days in the greenhouse,weve just had to work round her :lol: even watering the plants round her hasnt put her off :lol:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Chilli peppers
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 09:54 »
damn.. several types of chillis didn't like being in the greenhouse last night.. partic the bolivian rainbow..

wellingtons

I've a few spare seeds from different packets ...
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 18:30 »
... prairie fire being one ... if you need a few to replant let me know and I'll pop em in the post ...  :D

xx
Chilli's and Peppers!

Started by Missie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 13:35
by shokkyy
xx
chilli Peppers Hot!!!!

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 17:24
by mattwragg94
xx
chilli peppers

Started by dennis on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 13:49
by dennis
xx
chilli peppers

Started by tracy d on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 13:26
by tracy d

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 32 queries.