How are your 2021 tomatoes coming along?

• 46 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: How are your 2021 tomatoes coming along?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2021, 08:21 »
Actually, not bad. February sowing has been in the heated greenhouse for some time, following a regime of greenhouse when warm enough by day, kitchen at night. Second sowing went into the unheated greenhouse a few days ago and also planted outside yeaterday.

Some of the first sowing have fruit over 1".
20210530_081147.jpg
20210530_081200.jpg
20210530_081215.jpg
20210530_081129.jpg
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2021, 09:27 »
Those are looking good!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

snowdrops

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2021, 13:20 »
Actually, not bad. February sowing has been in the heated greenhouse for some time, following a regime of greenhouse when warm enough by day, kitchen at night. Second sowing went into the unheated greenhouse a few days ago and also planted outside yeaterday.

Some of the first sowing have fruit over 1".

Those in the pots on the gravel DD, do they stay like that with no tray underneath? I ask because I’ve just put gravel in my greenhouse following a few years of what I think is botrytis using bottomless pots aka ring culture sort of thing, on either large growbag trays of gravel or same pots sunk into bought growbags or reusable type grow bags that I fill myself or same pots on small drip saucers(last year).
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2021, 13:02 »
Those in the pots on the gravel DD, do they stay like that with no tray underneath? I ask because I’ve just put gravel in my greenhouse following a few years of what I think is botrytis using bottomless pots aka ring culture sort of thing, on either large growbag trays of gravel or same pots sunk into bought growbags or reusable type grow bags that I fill myself or same pots on small drip saucers(last year).

Straight on the gravel, Snowdrops. I don't like the pots standing in water. The ones in the other greenhouse are sunk in the soil for extra plant height and stability.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2021, 17:06 »
First ripe fruit! On a sweet and neat yellow miniature plant.  Sown when I did the peppers in early January as an experiment.  Lost flowers from fair umber of trusses due to aggressive hardening off, as has happened with the plum bush toms too.  Oh well 'fail again, fail better'.
2021-06-01 16.27.05.jpg

John78

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2021, 21:42 »
Mine were doing amazingly until a recent hot spell in the greenhouse seems to have fried them a little. Its only the new growth at the top as the rest of the plants look healthy with a few trusses that have set.

I've since painted shade paint on the greenhouse but they don't seem to be recovering too well. Do I increase the water, or have these been watered too much??
toms.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2021, 22:08 »

Straight on the gravel, Snowdrops. I don't like the pots standing in water. The ones in the other greenhouse are sunk in the soil for extra plant height and stability.
Thanks DD, so how do you water them please as I always water from the bottom & feed from the top? Although this year I’ve sunk a pint plastic pot into the soil to water into, not sure why lol but I always do that with beans,squash etc at the plot but using a 2 litre plastic bottle

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2021, 22:36 »
Mine were doing amazingly until a recent hot spell in the greenhouse seems to have fried them a little. Its only the new growth at the top as the rest of the plants look healthy with a few trusses that have set.

I've since painted shade paint on the greenhouse but they don't seem to be recovering too well. Do I increase the water, or have these been watered too much??

If the soil feels moist an inch down into the soil, and the leaves look like they do in the pictures, I wouldn't water more.

I'm seeing the photos on my phone, but they look alright to me!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2021, 22:55 »
On May 2, I planted my 8-inch tall seedling tomatoes from nursery pots out into the raised beds.  Here it is, a month later, the plants are 3 to 4 feet tall. I'm not pruning unless the plants become unmanageably tall. There are a lot of trusses, mostly 4 to 6 blossoms each, and pea-sized fruits forming.

Growster...

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2021, 05:47 »
Today, I'm stringing/winding-up 35 tom plants, from their pots in trays, to parallel bars a few ft above.

Tomorrow, I'll lie down for several hours, trying to straighten an extreme curvature of most parts of the body I still have, from my neck to my heels...

(Actually, I can't, as I have a B12 jab due early in the day, and probably yet another rocket from our lovely nurse for doing everything wrong, so that'll be interesting)!

:0~

Ivor Backache

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2021, 12:47 »
I have adopted a different approach and seemed to have got it right for once. I have sown outdoor types and indoor types. On the allotment  I have a row of stupice, outdoor girl, sub artic plenty and artic red. In the greenhouse I have Aisla Craig, Ferline, Nimbus,  Alicante , Gardeners Delight and Tumbler. All plants are 18"-2' with fruit set. I did lose a lot of the 'greenhouse' types because of cold, but the outdoor types have grown very well.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2021, 00:54 »
Tomato truss from space aliens . . .

I've never seen a truss with a terminal leaf before!
1622937103762214089841.jpg

Growster...

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2021, 07:37 »
Quite common over here at 'The Turrets', Subvers!

I think it might be some sort of stress hapening to the plant, when it has been pinched out at the top, and realises that it still has the 'ooomph' to grow even more.

A friend in the village lets her toms grow all over the place, sometimes up to ten/twelve trusses, and they seem to like it, whereas most of us have limited space, and keep them in check.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2021, 10:23 »
They happen all the time Sp. I just nip them off if they grow too much or get in the way  :D

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2021, 13:34 »
Tomato truss from space aliens . . .

I've never seen a truss with a terminal leaf before!

Ive seen the same on one of mine. I thought it might be due to being an heirloom variety.
plant looks healthy though

xx
How are your 2020 tomatoes coming along?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post October 06, 2020, 06:26
by Growster...
xx
Anyone coming for Tea!!

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 14:16
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Coming Soon

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 01:21
by Dan78
xx
Asparagus not coming up

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 23:50
by Salmo

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 49 queries.