How are your 2021 tomatoes coming along?

• 46 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
How are your 2021 tomatoes coming along?
« on: May 20, 2021, 10:52 »
I've noted a few posts from members that already have a few flowers blooming on their trusses.  Mine are not quite that far along, but the plants are good and sturdy, knee high, with many trusses forming.  This year I have Roma, Gardener's Delight (popular, but I have never tried them until now), and Better Boy.  I think I will have green fruit developing in 2 weeks or so.

How are yours coming along?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:56 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How are your 2021 tomatoes coming along?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 11:23 »
Mine are still languishing in their smallish pots and gradually turning an unbecoming blue shade, as it is still unseasonably cold here - even in the greenhouse. April
had the lowest average minimum temperature since 1922"
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2021/lowest-average-minimum-temperatures-since-1922-as-part-of-dry-april
 May hasn't been much better tbh.
Returning to the data, England’s May CET, which is compiled by the UK Met Office Hadley Centre, reveals that the month’s mean temperature, to May 7, is running at just 7C (44.6F) — this is a jaw-dropping 2.8C below the CET norm, and currently sees England on course to suffer its coldest May since record-keeping began back in 1659.
https://electroverse.net/england-on-for-its-coldest-may-since-records-began-back-in-1659/
Yes, the small bush varieties have a few flowers, but not much chance of pollination with few insects about, and shaking them is probably pointless while it is still this chilly.

Sorry for all the UK weather quotes/links but it really is bad this year (I don't think yours has been that good either?)

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 11:58 »
Mine needed to go out about 2 weeks ago.  I've got 6 indeterminates and 3 determinates in the windows and some have 3 trusses of fruit and getting on 4 foot tall!  Potting on to their final position outside is going to be fun, which I'm doing next week unless the weather turns worse again.

009 (2).jpg
002.jpg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 12:24 »

Sorry for all the UK weather quotes/links but it really is bad this year (I don't think yours has been that good either?)

It has been cooler than normal here, with unusual freezing temperatures in early - mid April, cold dips into single-digit ( C ) temperatures after that, as recently as a week ago.  Now, we are expecting dry mid-summer heat up to 35 C or possibly higher next week! At this rate, snow in early June would not surprise me  :wacko:.

I have nothing to complain about considering the weather you have had.  I hope you settle into spring-summer conditions soon.  I note at one of the links that the cold is linked to higher sunshine and lower rain; that is to be expected.

Hasbeans, it's a treat to see yours growing so well!  As you move those, consider temporarily wrapping the branches in a tarp or drop cloth to prevent breakage as you move the plant, remove when the plant is in the ground where you need it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 12:35 by Subversive_plot »

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 16:58 »
Mine are still in pots in the greenhouse...waiting to be transplanted to their final place but the weather has been rubbish!  They are normally out well before now and they dont even have any trusses showing :(

At least they look sturdy enough as i took them outside during the good spell we had a couple of weeks ago.

im hoping that after this weekends gales, i can get them planted up and things will improve ::)

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 19:56 »
I've never had them do so poorly, mine are still in small pots with the tallest of them about 6'' tall! don' t imagine there will be much of a harvest this year!

I've quite a few other plants and they are all very slow, not near ready for planting out, and I'd normally be thinking about making further sowings over the next month or so.
Best Regards,

spud

wolveryeti

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 22:34 »
Pretty hopeless. Mine have been getting too leggy on the windowsill and those I have attempted to gingerly harden off have been thrashed about by the wind/hail and lost lots of foliage. I gave up and replanted seed earlier in the month. Will be a miracle if I get a half decent crop this year.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 01:54 »
Pretty hopeless. Mine have been getting too leggy on the windowsill and those I have attempted to gingerly harden off have been thrashed about by the wind/hail and lost lots of foliage. I gave up and replanted seed earlier in the month. Will be a miracle if I get a half decent crop this year.

When the weather finally warms, take those leggy ones and plant them with the stem buried really deep, just the top leaves above ground. They will root along the stems and grow quickly.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 07:58 »
I have planted most of them out even though the weather is atrocious. I notice Monty Don on gardeners world also recommends planting deep so you submerge the 1set of “ not true” leaves. I did that, also because I was worried they’d snap in the wind 😞.

Abunndance

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 11:24 »
My first batch of tomato plants flourished inside under grow lights until I put them in the polytunnel - rotted right off. I started new seeds, Roma, Money Maker, Amish Paste this time, in the polytunnel.  So far, so good.  I had so many Money Maker seedlings that I planted a half dozen good plants out in the garden.  They did great until yesterday with the gale force winds, rain and cold.  I put glass jars over them, and so far, so good.  I can't leave them under there, though, for fear that they will rot off.  My Amish Paste tomatoes in the polytunnel have buds on them!!!!

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 05:38 »
I've got twelve big 10" pots, with two 8" toms planted per pot, in a mix of soil and compost, and hope to finish the rest today - four more pots.

Eight pots for the GH, and four each for two outside locations - one very sunny, another sheltered, so the hope is that there will some sort of succession and also a 'fire-break' if we get late blight...

(Note to self - get more dissolveable aspirin for the toms if the dreaded lurgy is notified).

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 07:45 »
we have golden sunrise and gardeners delight in buckets in greenhouse about 15 to 18 inch high they all seem ok 2nd truss of flowers forming   fingers crossed against a cold spell cucumber diva and marketmore also seem ok 
from bow like to grow

Christine

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 08:20 »
I had some leggy ones that stayed too long in small pots and didn't transfer successfully to buckets in the unheated greenhouse - strange for tomatoes but the roots didn't spread and develop so they died back. Peppers and squashes in the same compost no problem and doing well. Despite all the plants going through the same weather - cold, hot, wet, snow (but no frost).

Went out and bought to replace. Easier than fighting another packet and being really behind.

jambop

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 08:48 »
Planted mine out on Thursday which is late but the weather has and still is brutal. It rained all day yesterday and today the high is going to be 12C which is about 10C down on the norm and we are going to be getting gusting winds for good measure  :(  I am keeping back a half dozen san Marzano to put in next week.
This has been the worst spring we have had in the ten years I have been staying down here I am struggling to get beans germinated in my polytunnel that is how poor the weather is...moan over :lol:

Lardman

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2021, 11:12 »
GH toms were planted last week and 8" at most, looking back over previous years posts it's normally only another month before I start to pick fruit, I doubt that will be the case this year.

Although the slower growth in harsher conditions does appear to have made stronger looking plants.  :wacko:

xx
How are your 2020 tomatoes coming along?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post October 06, 2020, 06:26
by Growster...
xx
Anyone coming for Tea!!

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 14:16
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Coming Soon

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 01:21
by Dan78
xx
Where is all this bindweed coming from?

Started by GYO Girl on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post December 01, 2012, 12:01
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 53 queries.