Bees in trouble

• 5 Replies

MalcW

Bees in trouble
« on: February 21, 2014, 13:48 »
I saw an interesting article on breakfast TV yesterday. Apparently the virus and the parasite that have been causing problems for the honey bee have now started to infect the bumble bee population. Bee keepers and others are doing what they can, but one thing that was mentioned was that the loss of areas of wild flowers didn't help, and people should, if possible, plant more bee friendly plants.

So I think I'll try and set aside two or three small areas on our plot for something suitable. Or perhaps various flowers around the borders. I've already got daffodils coming up in one area.

blackberryjam

Re: Bees in trouble
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 14:44 »
 In an area close to the fence I've planted wallflowers, this spring I'm also adding lavender, verbena and snapdragons to encourage bee's to the plot and help our bee population.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 20:49 »
I saw this too and am planning on putting some more wildflower areas into my plot to try and help

diospyros

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:07 »
We pay farmers to sow "Pollen and Nectar" mixes which largely consist of clover, alfalfa, trefoils and knapweed.  We ask them to cut in June to prolong the flowering season.  The benefit for gardeners would be that this cut can be used as mulch or composted, and if you have used deep rooted species like alfalfa there will be nutrients brought up from deep down.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 14:50 »
Thanks for the reminder MalcW, I had a rummage in the flower seed tin and was amazed at what I had and hadn't got around to using.  Have added them into the 'seed production line' plan  :) somehow... :wacko:

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 15:16 »
Love bees and always give them a thought, I sowed lots of lavendar successfuly a couple of years ago and plan to have plenty of flowers for our bees this year, may even try make a little bee house behind my shed this year, will have to google how to make and encourage them, my garden is 84ft long so will have to make sure its at the end, I discussed this with my husband a whille ago and he wasnt fussed, haha what he doent know eh...

xx
Pea trouble

Started by Jake on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 16:04
by Jake
xx
Thrip trouble ..please help.

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 15:26
by Mr Gyles
xx
leek trouble

Started by Little Miss Muffet on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 16:19
by DD.
thumbdown
Shed Trouble

Started by Anna.Scott123 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 19:29
by ember

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 35 queries.