Seed Saving

• 14 Replies

LotuSeed

Seed Saving
« on: April 08, 2015, 17:51 »
For those that save their own seed to use year after year, how do you go about growing so that that the seed you save isn't cross pollinated with another variety?  I've been reading some of the suggestions on spacing and am wondering if others follow the recommendations stringently or not at all.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Seed Saving
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 18:00 »
What are you planning on saving? *noseyface*

There's a fair bit of information on this thread, http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=118458.0, with tips for specific plant families and the Garden Organic pdf also goes into a bit of detail on the numbers of plants to grow to maintain plant vigour as well as true seed. Some of that isn't attainable for home growers though.

I am quite keen on seed saving... :blush:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 18:07 »
how do you go about growing so that that the seed you save isn't cross pollinated with another variety?

Some things are a lot more promiscuous than others - Squash for example.

Real Seeds has some really good info on self-saving seed:
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/
(Selected the vegetable you are interested in and the seed-saving info, if available, will be at the bottom of the page)

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 18:09 »

Really we hadn't noticed :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

LotuSeed

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 18:18 »
What are you planning on saving? *noseyface*

There's a fair bit of information on this thread, http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=118458.0, with tips for specific plant families and the Garden Organic pdf also goes into a bit of detail on the numbers of plants to grow to maintain plant vigour as well as true seed. Some of that isn't attainable for home growers though.

Tomatoes, peppers, peas, beans and peanuts. I grow heirloom varieties and like to save seed from the ones that taste the best. I know I saved seed from my Dad's Sunset tomato last year bc they were delicious, but I can't seem to locate them. Argh!

Lol Kristen. Yeah I know those cucurbits aren't very choosy lol.

surbie100

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 23:19 »
All of those bar peppers should be self-pollinating shouldn't they? I'm assuming you mean bush or pole beans. I use wedding favour bags (cheap here on t'internet) to isolate flowers if I need to. The peanuts sound more complicated for storage from what I read. OH is on at me to grow them...

I'm trying salsify, beetroot and aubergines this year, with a few other things too for the seed circles. I'd love to be virtually self-sufficient in seeds for most things bar brassicas which I'm not sure I could isolate enough.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 23:46 »
Hi lotuSeed
You will enjoy saving your own seeds it is fun and rewarding, I have saved most of my seeds for a few years now, here is another link that may be of help to you.
http://www.seedsave.org/issi/904/beginner.html
Even if they say that they will  self pollinate I still bag them or isolate them to be on the safe side, I will be having a go at sweetcorn this year  :ohmy: 
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

LotuSeed

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 23:46 »
The back of the pea packet said to keep varieties separated by 50ft, I think the tomatoes advise for much more distance. Not impossible, but could be difficult if I want to plant more than one variety of each crop and considering my garden layout. I saved black turtle beans from last year, they were grown away from my blue lake green beans. This year I'm adding pink indian beans and assume I'll need to isolate those from the others as well. My peanuts were an experiment last year and they did pretty well. I bought them as seedlings at the end up May and pulled them up at the beginning of November. I hung them up to dry them and they've held up just sitting on top of one of my kitchen cabinets. It was fun to watch them grow. They do like a long hot growing season and should be harvested when the weather is dry. 
I'm sure the last thing you need is another source for buying seeds, but Baker Creek out in California sells an awful lot of fascinating heirlooms from around the world, and they ship internationally 😊 rareseeds.com

LotuSeed

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 23:49 »
Thanks for the links guys! 🌱

surbie100

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 06:48 »
I love Baker Creek - it's one of my favourite sites just for browsing through. I've already got a wish list for things from it for this autumn. Their seed packets are usually a lot more generous than many of the companies here, particularly for squashes.

I'd still go down the bagging route for tomato trusses to be safe if you're growing lots of different varieties. French beans I'm less fussy about - mostly because the ones I bagged last year didn't seem to 'take'.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 06:59 »
I really must link to the Garden Organic pdf for the pea seed saving guidelines, if for no other reason than the fact that they are my peas in the picture!

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/sites/www.gardenorganic.org.uk/files/resources/hsl/6_Peas.pdf
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 07:04 »
I'm no expert. but I do save a few seeds each year.  I grow my tomatoes side by side in the greenhouse and save seeds from them.  They always seem to come true. 

I also save seeds of peas and beans - I have a really old version of climbing blue lake, that had been grown by an elderly lady for years and came to me via a mutual friend, plus Cherokee Trail of Tears beans, a couple of unusual mangetout peas and Wizard field beans (a type of broad bean).  The broad beans are on the plot and other people have normal broad beans nearby.  The climbing beans and mangetout are usually fairly close to one another, growing up wigwams of canes, and again, they come true.

If you were saving seeds to sell like Realseeds do, I'd say take all the precautions they advise, but if its for your own home garden, I would be inclined to relax a bit  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 07:08 »
I really must link to the Garden Organic pdf for the pea seed saving guidelines, if for no other reason than the fact that they are my peas in the picture!

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/sites/www.gardenorganic.org.uk/files/resources/hsl/6_Peas.pdf

You 'pet' Kent Blue pea by any chance ?  I seem to remember you got a mighty haul of seeds from that single plant  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 07:17 »
Actually, these are "Stokesley" from 9 years ago!  :ohmy:

LotuSeed

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 16:00 »
Surbie, Baker Creek has such a vast and varied collection! I love how they give a free seed packet with each order too.

DD thanks for the peas link. I actually did end up planting the two varieties I have in two different locations instead of in the same bed.

New Shoot thanks for that reassurance. I want to save seed purely for my own purposes. I do wonder though how places like seeds savers exchange screen what's sent in to them. I'm wary of buying seed from individuals on ebay and amazon or etsy and the like because I don't know if they've been saved properly.

I'm mainly interested in saving and fine tuning tomatoes with the taste I want 🍅. 

Thanks bunches :)

xx
seed saving

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2007, 23:16
by GrannieAnnie
xx
seed saving

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 19, 2015, 11:52
by Bohobumble
xx
Saving seed

Started by snowdrops on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2021, 17:49
by snowdrops
xx
Saving seed

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 17:57
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 36 queries.