Eglu omlet VS wooden coop

• 218 Replies

Bodger

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 17:56 »
The chickens in the runs are locked in the sheds a night, all my other pens are protected with mains electric fencing.

Foxes can go through brand new chicken netting and in the abscence of the electric fencing weld mesh is safer but really expensive.

Contadino

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 18:56 »
I think Aunty forgot a couple of pros and cons:

Con:
- They're made of plastic, which isn't very planet-friendly

Pro:
- Keeping chickens for nervous first timers is easier with either the Eglu or the Cube.  It has some great features to make life easier.

I made our chicken house, and picked up a couple of design elements from the Eglu.  When the wife gets round to painting it I'll post up some photos - I'm sure our girls would like their home to look spick'n'span before it reaches the public domain.

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 19:23 »
I'm genuinely very confused right now  :?  :?  :?  :?

Bodger, are all those yours? What other birds do you keep apart from chicken? If all chicken, why separate coops? At £210 a piece, they look good, but at that price really, I'd have expected a secure, foxproof run too. I've seen cheaper wooden coops and runs that are as secure as the next, but then again, that's all inline, lol, so I might be talking rubbish here.

Aunty, I'll arrange a visit to an eglu owner - even if it's just for tea and cakes and a half dozen free eggs. If there's someone here close to me, I may even buy their eggs rather than tesco's or sainsbug's.
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 19:44 »
Aunty, I've just read your thread about the common pests. Am I correct in assuming that all these pests, like the red mite would be easily controlled in an eglu/cube, or am I being naive? I'm so swayed by the omlet products, I'm prepared to work an extra shift every week just to fund it  :lol: . I know it's plastic etc, etc, but it's pros so far outweigh its cons.

And also out of interest Aunty, do you take your girls to your plot with you when you work there? It's just I saw them in that picture where you're building Munty's bean frame?  :wink: I'm no stalker, I promise you!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 20:29 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
Aunty, I've just read your thread about the common pests. Am I correct in assuming that all these pests, like the red mite would be easily controlled in an eglu/cube, or am I being naive? I'm so swayed by the omlet products, I'm prepared to work an extra shift every week just to fund it  :lol: . I know it's plastic etc, etc, but it's pros so far outweigh its cons.

And also out of interest Aunty, do you take your girls to your plot with you when you work there? It's just I saw them in that picture where you're building Munty's bean frame?  :wink: I'm no stalker, I promise you!

Lice and especially red mite are of very little bother in an eglu or cube.  If they do get in, which is very very rare it is extremely easy to irradicate them.  There are no hiding places for them which can't be easily cleaned !

I would NOT recommend keeping it on an allotment,  it's second hand value would make it a sure target for theives  :cry:

Yes, I do take my girls to the lottie,  Hattie even climbs into the box when she sees it in expectition of the trip (lots of worms and veg to eat), they really enjoy it  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 20:41 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
The chickens in the runs are locked in the sheds a night, all my other pens are protected with mains electric fencing.

Foxes can go through brand new chicken netting and in the abscence of the electric fencing weld mesh is safer but really expensive.

Electric fencing is very good in an open field situation.  In a garden however, it is often not possible.

This is my garden.  It is small - 25ft x 40ft

The hens eglu and run are alongside Worzel's workshop which is on the garden boundary.  Foxes are often seen on the roof and can gain access from next door.  There is no way to protect the chooks with an electric fence.  The shrubbery you can see at the top of the garden is their "digging" and "shelter" area.  FoxWatch does give me a great measure of security.  I know a few people who have them and while it is not possible to prove a negative I know of no foxings while the Foxatch has been in use.

Bodger

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 20:47 »
Jacnal.

I show my chickens and have to keep several, no loads ! :lol:  of different breeding pens thats why I have to have so many sheds. As my wife will tell you, what you see in the photographs are only the tip of the iceberg.
I'm a sad lad ! :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 20:55 »
It's horse for courses.

Tiny garden requires tiny solution.

LOADS of bird requires a big soluton

But both need to ensure the security ans welfare of the birds  :!:

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 10:01 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
 FoxWatch does give me a great measure of security.  I know a few people who have them and while it is not possible to prove a negative I know of no foxings while the Foxatch has been in use.

Aunt Sally How does Foxwatch affect cats, as it seems to work from body heat?  I see they sell a Catwatch as well, which would suggest that the Foxwatch wouldn't affect them, but as I have an old cat I would hate to upset him.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 10:39 »
Any warm creature will trigger the FoxWatch but it is finely tuned to the hearing range of the fox.  I have a friend who uses a foxwatch and has both a dog and two cats and it does not bother them.

The RSPB use Catwatch to protect "sensitive" nesting sites.

ChickenAnn

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 11:40 »
I'm really glad Jac posted this topic! I've decided to go with a wooden coop after all, though! I found one that I think is really pretty.... :oops:  Also it's raised up (so the chickies can get underneath it) but not as big as a cube (I only want 3 or 4)...

muntjac

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 11:44 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Any warm creature will trigger the FoxWatch but it is finely tuned to the hearing range of the fox.  I have a friend who uses a foxwatch and has both a dog and two cats and it does not bother them.

The RSPB use Catwatch to protect "sensitive" nesting sites.

i use a 243 silenced ..... it dont make no squeeling noises  :lol:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 12:05 »
You gotta be there though Munty  :!:

And I think there would be a "Nee naa nee naa nee naa" coming through the housing estate before too long  :roll:   :D

muntjac

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 12:08 »
they wouldnt hear it  hear the shot sally but on a housing estate i wouldnt use 243 id use smaller  .and i have done fox control with my .22 in towns and the law allows me to do it.as a registered pest controller making sure all my safety precautions are in place ........ usually shooting them out of a bathroom or bedroom window  :wink: the shot has no place to go but in the ground .......after it has killed the pest

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 12:17 »
The local fox skirts my garden and goes through neighbours gardens instead now (maybe Foxwatch keeping them away).  But if it ventures in I'll get you to come and shoot it.  Tea and cake OK Munty  :wink:  :lol:

xx
Changing from wooden coop to eglu cube

Started by eveshamchelle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 18:17
by orchardlady
xx
Tips for red mite prevention - moving from Eglu to Wooden coop!

Started by Sootem on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 21:17
by joyfull
xx
omlet eglu's

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 07:12
by smiler43
xx
omlet eglu's

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 15:34
by cejx

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 28 queries.