Cockerels as meat birds

• 83 Replies

Spana

Re: Cockerels as meat birds
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 13:01 »
  pigeons (i get offered them quite a few times) but I think that only the breat is taken on them

Dont ever refuse pigeons pepsi, in my eyes they are the cream of the crop. You're right, its usually only the breast meat that gets used but they are the easiest of all birds to pluck if you did want a whole one. I just pull the skin apart and take the breast off, most times you dont even need a knife.

pepsi100

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 13:11 »
Never turned them down yet, removing the breat is easy enough, it just seems a waste of the rest, but there isnt much meat on the rest of them, the wife dont like them, even she has said about the lack of rabbits, but the country side seems over rhey get hunted any more ?
It's all about the journey, not the destination

splash101

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 14:25 »
Melton sells dead rabbits, pigeons, pheasants, partridge etc. A bit of a trek for some but others maybe interested.

I cant buy any of that produce if my hubby is around, he'd be passed out in a corner somewhere  :nowink:  He can barely look at a supermarket chicken let alone touch one. And I have to tell him to keep out of the garage if i've got a cockerel hanging in there.

pepsi100

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 16:48 »
Melton sells dead rabbits, pigeons, pheasants, partridge etc. A bit of a trek for some but others maybe interested.

I cant buy any of that produce if my hubby is around, he'd be passed out in a corner somewhere  :nowink:  He can barely look at a supermarket chicken let alone touch one. And I have to tell him to keep out of the garage if i've got a cockerel hanging in there.

After my course, and if I lived nearer, it wouldnt be there long, I'd blame it on a fox  :) :) :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 23:16 »

I think our husbands must be related splash101.  I have to hide them in the garage and usually hung on his bike maintenance stand, covered over of course.  He was suspicious last time though because I had move something he had hung over it.   ::) :lol:

I was going to dispatch the turkeys this week as he has been away on a work course for 4 days.  I couldn't do it as my back has been too bad.  He is back tonight so they have got a reprieve for now. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 23:51 »
Why are you dispatvching turkeys at this time of the year ?

Easter is still quite a way off, Christmas even further

Do I have to get a bike to hang birds from ?

Cant I just use a butchers hook in the shed ?

splash101

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 07:10 »
ANHBUC, he wont be helping you dispatch them then?
Some of the turkeys i see at Melton are about as big as me so i dont think i could wrestle one on my own  :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 10:38 »
Why are you dispatvching turkeys at this time of the year ?

Easter is still quite a way off, Christmas even further

Do I have to get a bike to hang birds from ?

Cant I just use a butchers hook in the shed ?

My broody bantam hatched them for me last year but it was too late in the year for Christmas.  Grannie Annie has said if I keep them til Easter they will be tough.

You can get a bike if you want.   :lol:  Butchers hook will do fine though.

ANHBUC

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 10:42 »
ANHBUC, he wont be helping you dispatch them then?
Some of the turkeys i see at Melton are about as big as me so i dont think i could wrestle one on my own  :lol:

No chance of hubby getting involved.  I have a good neighbour who will help with lifting.  I have read you can cut the corner out of a feed bag to slot their head through which will stop any flapping.  They have really big wings so that should make it easier.  Hubby has put the wall mounted dispatcher right next to a bench so the birds lay on that so no weight involved.   :)

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 10:43 »
I have always wondered how a turkey is culled, can anyone shed any light on this?

pepsi100

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 11:41 »
Okay, they are going to be culled, but what will happen afterwards ?

Are they for sale (how much ?) or personal consumption ?

How big are they ? live weight ? dead weight ?

Toms or hens (?)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:43 by pepsi100 »

ANHBUC

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 12:57 »
I have one stag and one hen.  They are around 15lbs and 9lbs live weight.  I believe you loose between 25 and 30% when dressed.  They are for personal consumption.

I have invested in a humane wall mouted dispatcher which is adjustable for different size birds.  It dislocates their neck and leaves a gap for the blood to pool.  Bleeding, plucking, hanging and gutting the bird as for chickens. 

pepsi100

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 13:06 »
I have one stag and one hen.  They are around 15lbs and 9lbs live weight.  I believe you loose between 25 and 30% when dressed.  They are for personal consumption.

I have invested in a humane wall mouted dispatcher which is adjustable for different size birds.  It dislocates their neck and leaves a gap for the blood to pool.  Bleeding, plucking, hanging and gutting the bird as for chickens. 

Did you buy the 'eggs in' and hatch them or do you have a 'layer' turkey ?

ANHBUC

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 13:10 »
I bought them in from someone fairly local.  It is the first time I have had turkeys so a bit of a learning curve.

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 13:15 »
joyful, have you forgotten about the link?

Craig
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

xx
Meat birds??

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 23:16
by woodburner
xx
???? about meat birds

Started by daz on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 16:40
by kentishlad
question
Meat birds

Started by GTFC197 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 11, 2014, 19:31
by nnbreeder
xx
meat birds

Started by jonandjen16 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 10:10
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 28 queries.