Cockerels as meat birds

• 83 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Cockerels as meat birds
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2013, 19:55 »
Wouldn't  geesemake a terrible mess in the hen house.  :D

Have a look on YouTube, i'm sure ive seen stuff there about culling and dressing poultry.

I always think turkeys are much easier to cull then some of the big cockerels, ours went very quietly with no struggle or noise. Try culling a big Cornish Game cockerel first, turkeys are a piece of cake after that.

ANHBUC, we use a wall mounted dispatcher too.

I will be asking you for advice before I do the deed then.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Debbieta

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2013, 18:43 »
Can I ask who dispatches cockerals manually (by hand), or who uses a wall mounted dispatcher.  I am thinking of potentially buying a dispatcher but am as yet undecided, as we are hopefully going to breed some of our own this year and may be needing to consume our organic produce!

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2013, 19:05 »
hello,

when iv dispatched a poorly chick or injured chick/hen, i use a small long black torch handle and break the neck by pulling at an angle, i like to think the hen is dead instanstly, but it generaly 2-3 seconds,

I have read alot about the wall dispatchers and if your measurements are off then it can go badly wrong, from badly dislocated unbroken necks, to complete beheading,

Craig
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

pepsi100

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 19:13 »
I dont see myself 'dispatching' many cockerals, so is there any point in getting one of these 'wall mounted' things

What else do you use if you dont have one ?

Just bang it over the head ? (assuming you can catch the thing in the first place)

I would have thought the best time to 'do the deed' is when they have settled down for the night, go in collect the bird, keep it calm, relaxed then out it goes
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2013, 21:52 »
hi,

pepsi i wouldnt recommend hitting them over the head as this can cause injury, which can get you into trouble...

Craig

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2013, 22:30 »
As we used to sell our meat chickens and turkeys, we have to do the 'deed' properly, so Brian has an electric stunner, and I have a wall mounted dispatcher that I use when we have poorly birds.

I would recommend the wall mounted one if you are going to do this on a regular basis.  Sorry Can't comment on the wringing of necks, except that it is actually illegal now to dispatch this way, but if it is just for you, then I think it's okay.

After all the 'powers that be' don't have X-Ray vision!

pepsi100

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2013, 22:35 »
hi,

pepsi i wouldnt recommend hitting them over the head as this can cause injury, which can get you into trouble...

Craig

That was a rhetorical question, I never said I would, I asked what do you do if you don't have a wall mounted dispatcher ?

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2013, 22:46 »
As we used to sell our meat chickens and turkeys, we have to do the 'deed' properly, so Brian has an electric stunner, and I have a wall mounted dispatcher that I use when we have poorly birds.

I would recommend the wall mounted one if you are going to do this on a regular basis.  Sorry Can't comment on the wringing of necks, except that it is actually illegal now to dispatch this way, but if it is just for you, then I think it's okay.

Hey..

Illegal where? atm its not illegal in the UK?

Craig

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2013, 23:30 »
Yes it is unless you are only doing it for your own use.

I was told this by a DEFRA vet.

If I'm wrong, then so was he!  :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 23:43 by GrannieAnnie »

pepsi100

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2013, 23:37 »

Hey..

Craig

She is right, you can only kill them for yourself, not on a commercial scale, you cant just cut their throat and let them bleed out either (as some cultures do)

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2013, 23:41 »
I use the neck dislocation by hand method - once you know how to do it then it's quick, humane (arguably more than the wall mounted thingys though probably less than electric stunning) and reliable.

I skin the cockerels, (I only pluck the meat chickens I will be roasting) remove the innards  - usually with my 6 year old daughter in attendance - she is keen to get involved at this point. We then fry the heart and liver which are very popular and I tend then to boil them on a low heat and strip the carcass which I then use in various recipes.

By the way what is wrong with giblets - Even in waitrose none of the ducks, chickens or geese came with giblets - I like giblets!
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2013, 23:47 »

Hey..

Craig

She is right, you can only kill them for yourself, not on a commercial scale, you cant just cut their throat and let them bleed out either (as some cultures do)

Thanks Pepsi!

Squibbs, once you get the hang of a wall mounted dispatcher, culling is very quick.  neck dislocation or dispatchers, whatever are not humane if it isn't done right.

I won't use OH's stunner as I do worry about not getting that one right!

pepsi100

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2013, 23:49 »
ooo, you will be very lucky to find giblets in any birds any more, the same as a kidney on a pork chop, offal isnt popular any more

I always asked for any extra giblets when I boiught a fresh bird from a REAL butchers shop, they were always glad to get rid of them

The younger generation dont know how to cook offal, cheap cuts any more

You might find them in a butchers shop, but even they are few and far between now

When I kill a cockerel, I want to know its had a good happy life, that is why I would take it at night, after they have settled down, keep the bird quiet, no fuss, no noise, and then 'do the deed'

But that is just me, I am not bothered how others do it, as long as its quick (I dont know how painful it would be, I have never had it done to me) but I know a tazer hurts and frazzles your brain for a good 5 minutes, dont know what it would do to a bird

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 00:25 by pepsi100 »

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2013, 08:08 »
Hello,

I thought you meant it was illegal to do it at home, lol i know its illegal in commercial premises or if you intend to sell them

I dont think you can even sell them to your family can you?

Craig

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2013, 11:16 »
I use a wall mounted dispatcher - but have also used an axe and the broom method. The wall mounted dispatcher works the best for me. I have no intention of breeding again so will not have to use it for cockerels but will use it for any bird that is suffering and not responding to any medication.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Meat birds??

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 23:16
by woodburner
xx
???? about meat birds

Started by daz on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 16:40
by kentishlad
question
Meat birds

Started by GTFC197 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 11, 2014, 19:31
by nnbreeder
xx
meat birds

Started by jonandjen16 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 10:10
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.575 seconds with 31 queries.