Saving seeds

• 5 Replies

jambop

Saving seeds
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:06 »
Hi
I save seeds of all sorts of vegs that I grow but wonder if it is really worth while and which are the most reliable seeds to save? I have saved bean seeds, peppers, onion, aubergine, courgette, butternut squash and tomato to sow next year. Any opinions on this sort of approach to veg growing? I know that the modern idea is F1 varieties but what did people do before they came along?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Saving seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 12:41 »
Most reliable are French beans and peas because they self fertilise with in the bud before the flower opens.
Then tomatoes as they usually pollinate themselves, helped by tapping the canes, to release pollen.

All the others need pollinating by insects, so will readily cross pollinate - which means that you don't know what you'll get next year, if grown alongside other varieties.

In the past most people grew a crop of let's say, cabbage, all would be the same variety, so next years plants would be quite uniform. Nowadays there are many varieties grown, within a small area,. so cross pollination is bound to occur. Any saved seeds would still be cabbage, but not of the same variety, or standard, of the ones you grew in the first place.

If you want to save seeds (only from non f1s) then you need to isolate your plants, with fine netting, to stop cross pollination. Otherwise I don't think it's worth it tbh

some good advice here
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:42 by mumofstig »

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 14:48 »
I save broad bean and pea seeds as they are expensive per seed compared with stuff like carrots onions and lettuce. I think peas fertilise themselves as my lot this year were under enviromesh and did fine. The broad beans were Aqudulce which is pretty common as an overwintering bean so I'm not too worried about cross polination.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 17:12 »
I have saved bean seeds, peppers, onion, aubergine, courgette, butternut squash and tomato to sow next year.

As Mum says, if you isolated the flowers (male and female for the courgette and squash) then you've got great seed for next year.

If you didn't, it might well be a bit hit and miss as they could well have crossed with other varieties. I wouldn't bother growing things I am not absolutely certain are true - at least not the bigger plants of the selection you mention. Tomatoes and beans I'd probably take a punt on.

Personally I love seed saving. It's my new hobby on the allotments, but I'm a bit challenged for space, given you are advised to grow a certain number of each variety you're saving just to maintain the plant vigour in its offspring.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 17:14 by surbie100 »

jambop

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 19:26 »
The nearest veg plot to me is at least 300m away but bees will travel. Also why not saving seeds from F1's?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 20:26 »
Being hybrid plants, you won't know what their offspring will be like.

xx
saving F1 seeds

Started by jondav on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 21:16
by Kingstown_peter
xx
saving seeds

Started by greenchaos on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 19:26
by greenchaos
thumbup
saving your own seeds

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 20:34
by barley
xx
Saving seeds

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2018, 09:12
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 33 queries.