Calling all Eglu owners

• 10 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
Calling all Eglu owners
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:56 »
Hi there,
I just wondered whether anyone else had problems with mites whilst having the Eglu cube? 
I bought one last year to eliminate red mites but this year I've already found 3 ticks on me, and feel very itchy a lot of the time when I'm dealing with the chickens.
I THINK I saw 3/4 red mite on the top of the Eglu (small red things with about 6 legs - looked like a red money spider) but I can't see any inside the Eglu... the inside is painted with a slurry of poultry shield and diatom.
Putting the cube together was quite tricky and time consuming so I'm not able to dismantle regularly.

I'd love to hear from other Eglu owners whether they too are having problems, anmd what they do to control mites/clean the cube.

Thanks
Cat

compostqueen

Re: Calling all Eglu owners
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 09:15 »
You sure it's not red spider mite?

I never had redmite or ticks in my Eglu and I never had to use a slurry, thankfully  :)  I used to keep mine very clean and checked it constantly to make sure I had no lodgers.  I used the plastic roosting bars instead of the wooden ones

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:22 »
I have not had a cube before but have had 2 eglu classics. I have never had red mites in either of them. The beauty of any plastic coop is that they can be simply washed out and dried removing any mites - however you need to do this away from where the house is sited. If you find any mites and wash a coop where it is sited then any mites will be washed onto the ground where they can live for many months without feeding then simply crawl back in.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:17 »
You've obviously got some mites left over from when you had them before you got your cube.

Tick's are quite rare (they are the bugs that dig their head under your skin and stay their). Could they be lice instead ?

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:31 »
Hi there,  well I dont know if what I saw were red mite and I never had a problem before but wanted to get the most hygienic coop possible.
I definitely had ticks as had to get them removed by the Dr (!!!)- and we don't have other pets so can only assume they are from the chickens... however every summer I get very itchy but can never see anything on me (apart from  this summer's 3 ticks).  I think I read on this forum a couple of years ago about a brown mite and I think it might be that.

Has anyone ever totally taken apart and washed the Eglu Cube?  It looks like quite a job??

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 12:09 »
Can't advise on your eglu as I've never had one. This is the time of year for ticks, they can be picked up from long grass especially in areas where there have been sheep, cattle etc. Have you been walking anywhere like that? As compostqueen says are you sure the other things aren't red spider mites? The best way to check for red mite is to go out at night with a tissue and run it around the crevices of your coop.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 12:33 »

I definitely had ticks as had to get them removed by the Dr (!!!)- and we don't have other pets so can only assume they are from the chickens...

They are probably from wild animals - hedgehog, fox, farm animals etc.  I doubt they came from the chickens originally.

EDIT: Snap toad :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:35 by Aunt Sally »

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 13:31 »
The red critters you saw are almost certainly red spider mites, and not red mites.  RSM are completely harmless, though your chickens might find them tasty if they can catch them.  RM are almost microscopic, and unless they have fed, are actually a grey/brownish colour.

Chickens can readily pick up lice and mites from wild birds, so check carefully the skin around the vent and under the wings.  These are easily treatable with fipronil (will need waiver from the vet).  It is best to treat all the flock at once, even if only one or two have creepy crawlies.  Do NOT treat if you see no sign at all.  (no need to encourage resistance).

General itchiness etc... could you be developing a feather allergy?  I know a couple of people who have developed a feather allergy, even years after having hens.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 13:58 »
It is possible to get red mite in plastic coops, but like Joy said, so much more easy to get rid of them or if cleaned regularly, not get them at all.

There was one of our members the other year who actually got RM inside some little air bubbles that were in the plastic of her eglu.

I borrowed Joy's original eglu once and it got some RM, but I think it was probably from one of the wooden houses.  A jolly good clean with poultry shield, moved the eglu and it was fine.  There were just a few hiding in the bits where the eglu joined together.

I've never had a cube though, so can't advise whether its easy to put together.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 14:28 »
Thanks all - I think generally I keep the coop pretty clean - I poo pick every day and clean out completely (take out all apper, chippings and brush/wipe thoroughly) every 2 weeks and can't see anything on the chooks but the feeling I get after handling is like things are crwaling on me and in my hair.  Always better after a shower.
I will try the tissue test tonight - I gather it will be red if there are mite in the coop?

jhub

• jane
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 16:12 »
After undoing the catches I lift off the 'lid' from my Eglu cube, the back wall also lifts out easily (undo latches). This gives easy access to the inside, remove the partition from the nest box and the plastic roosting bars and hey presto, easy to sluice out.

xx
Calling Chicken owners Lincoln way!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 17:15
by Stree
xx
Eglu cube owners - please help!

Started by eveshamchelle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 21:46
by compostqueen
xx
HELP Goose owners please

Started by slowef on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 20:15
by slowef
xx
chicken owners in Bristol

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 13:31
by Shazzer

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 34 queries.