settling in ex-batts

• 5 Replies

melanshel

settling in ex-batts
« on: July 20, 2012, 02:10 »
hi, we are collecting some ex-batts this weekend and have got a house with built-in run ready for them (we intend letting them range as well though). I have read that we should keep them in the house for 24 hours or so, to get them used to it, but does this mean the run also, or just the sleeping quarters? I would appreciate any help, this is our first time keeping chickens. Thank you

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: settling in ex-batts
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:41 »
Hi

It means the actual sleeping quarters so they imprint on this as home.  I have just put hens into a run without doing this, but sometimes you end up putting them to bed for the first couple of nights until they learn where to go  :)

Pat4d

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:09 »
When I got my 4 I brought them home in a box which I took to the middle of their run and just opened the top and left them to it. They were all fine and put themselves in the coop at night and have ever since.

Only thing they dont do is sleep on the pearch. 2 sleep under the pearch one in one of the nest boxes and the other on the nest box.

Funny thing is it is the head chicken that sleeps lowest i.e under the one on the nest box.

melanshel

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:26 »
Thank you. New shoot...I'm assuming I will have to put their feed and drink into the sleeping quarters?

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:43 »
Not an expert, but from the advice I've read over the past few months, no need for food and water in the coop as it makes a mess, and once locked up for the night, they dont need any food or drink....mine not ex-bats, (6 various hybrids), and when i got them, i just popped them in enclosed run in cardboard box I'd brought them home in, and left them to it. They had a good nosy round the run, and then a snoop in the coop.  Come dusk, off they trotted up the ramp to the coop, but chose the nestboxes to sleep in, rather than perches.  Months on they still sleep in the nestboxes, and as long as theyre happy, so am I.  Have fun with your new girls.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 20:29 »
Thank you. New shoot...I'm assuming I will have to put their feed and drink into the sleeping quarters?

As Loretta Cluck has said, no need as long they have eaten and drunk before going in. If it is a hot day, I would leave it and just put them to bed as soon as it cools down.  Once they have woken up in the coop, its usually home  :)

Ex bats have never had the chance to perch, so they will sleep on the floor or in nest boxes. You can go and put them on perches every night and see if they get the idea - they may not ever  ;)  Or just accept you need to pooh pick the nestboxes  ::)

xx
my ex batts are settling in great

Started by nettynoodles1 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 15:25
by nettynoodles1
xx
How are your new girls settling?

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2008, 13:05
by Wildeone
xx
FINALLY Settling ................

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 06, 2011, 00:00
by viettaclark
xx
Chickens not settling in as well as they should.

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 21:01
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 31 queries.