To Bee or not to Bee.......

• 14 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
To Bee or not to Bee.......
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:31 »
It's a glorious late Spring/early Summer's day down here in West Kent. Children laughing, BBQ smoke everywhere (  :tongue2: ), the Birds are tweeting and the Bees are, well, not, er buzzing at all....I've been out in the garden all morning and i haven't seen one! (well a honey bee at least) and only one of those small breeds and that's it  :ohmy:

I know our bee populations have taken a hit these last few years but this Spring they seem even thinner in the air than usual. No hoverflies either unless it's a little early??  :dry:

Anyone else notice this lack of very useful aid to us gardeners?

Spana

Re: To Bee or not to Bee.......
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 12:37 »
Yes definitely lacking in honey bees here, been saying so all year.  :(

But we do have loads and I mean loads of bumbles :) :)Wonder why :unsure:

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 12:57 »
Yes definitely lacking in honey bees here, been saying so all year.  :(

But we do have loads and I mean loads of bumbles :) :)Wonder why :unsure:

I know the Honey bee has been under tremendous strain due to the colony collapse disease they've been contracting but good to see some Bumbles in you rneck of the woods...
Very few here though.....

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 13:04 »
Seen quite a few white-bottomed bumble bees here, though they all seem to be on the small side.  Plenty of hoverflies too, and we saw the first hornet yesterday.  As for honey bees, we appear to have a bunch making a home in the garage - it's built of breeze blocks and clad in wood, and we think the bees are in the gap between.  Not a problem as my other half was planning on making a top-bar hive this year anyway, so we may end up with a swarm 'on tap' as it were!  :)  We are right out in the countryside though, surrounded by fields, so that's got to make a difference.

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 19:10 »
havnt seen any honey bees yet and verry few bumbles such a sham i think a big part of it is people using wasp nest remover to get rid of the nests in and arround there home i know that when told by the council that they couldnt get rid my sis in law just took a can of it to them herself despite my protests
on another note my town was engulfed in a swarm of biblical proportions by greenfly this week :( hope they dont take a likeing to my veg

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 19:30 »
Found 3 dead bees on the bedroom carpet last night and three more today so it was time to get the mastic gun out and seal around the board in the unused fireplace.
Lots of activity around the chimney cowl so it seems i have some resident pollinators .They are welcome to stay, but not in the bedroom. :)

Got a few solitary burrowing bees under the pear tree as well. :)

And white tail bumbles in the shed , no bee shortage here. :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 20:39 by 8doubles »

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 22:55 »
Lots of bumbles up here, but no honeys yet [insert inappropriate joke here].  1st hover flies spotted today too.

V worried to hear about that greenfly down south.  Last year was a total nitghtmare for that up here.  I spent most days squishing and spraying  :mad:

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 23:06 »
Sorry folks but i think all the honey bees have moved north  :D loads in our back garden today , mind you we have 100's of flowers in bloom  :)

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 23:24 »
Absolutely loads of bumblebees here, has been for weeks actually. But yeah, now I come to think of it hardly any honey bees  :(.
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

Lottiegob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 08:58 »
We had a huge swarm of honey bees fly over the allotment yesterday, a cloud of about 300.    Also dug into my pile of well-rotted horse manure and accidentally came across a bumble in her nest (whoops) with a clutch of eggs- looked like dry red pomegranite seeds. Quickly covered it over and hoped she might recover  :unsure: felt so guilty.
I'm queen of my own compost heap and I'm getting used to the smell.

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 13:43 »
Lots of bees and hover flies in my neck of the woods although must admit not as many as in years gone by. One bush in particular used to be covered in bees, I loved to watch them.

Christine

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 20:16 »
Very few of either bumble bees or bees in general here.

Spana

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 20:54 »
Made a point of looking at our cotoneasters today as they always attract lots of bees. They were covered in bumbles and wasps, not a honey bee in sight. :(

Do bumbles pollinate the same as honey bees? :unsure:

kezz1

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 00:16 »
Recent research links part of the worldwide decline in honey bee populations to mobile phone towers. The magnetic radiation apparently disrupts the bees 'navigation system' and causes disorientation. They can't find their way home, the hive looses vigour and then becomes prone to attack from insects, robbing from other bees and disease. Probably a combination of many causes, including pesticides and loss of breeding places. We don't have as big a problem as elsewhere in the world, in Australia, but I imagine it is only a matter of time. Orchards and vineyards are now hiring hives to pollinate their crops. Trying to do my bit by keeping my own hives. Maybe allotments in the UK can add a couple of community bee hives...besides helping the bee populations, and the greater environment, vege crops will increase dramatically and there will be lots of real, non 'watered down' honey to share.   :)

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 08:57 »
Maybe allotments in the UK can add a couple of community bee hives...besides helping the bee populations, and the greater environment, vege crops will increase dramatically and there will be lots of real, non 'watered down' honey to share.   :)
Excellant idea ..contact local beekeepers and they would probably be interested in putting a hive or two on allotments but wonder if the elf n safety regs would allow ?
We need our bees and must help them to survive and multiply .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 28 queries.