To pot on or not to pot on....

• 8 Replies

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
To pot on or not to pot on....
« on: May 23, 2010, 06:44 »
.......that is the question!

I have some calabrese, cabbages and cauliflower in modules and some celeriac in a tray in the greenhouse, I put 2 or 3 seeds in each module expecting some of them to not germinate. Well they all germinated, every single one of them!

Heres some pics - should I be splitting them up into their own pots now at this size or should I let them get a bit bigger and at what size should I be planting them out?

oh and same question for the salad in the rasied beds - should I be thinning these out now?

Oh and when should I stop earthing up potatoes?

Sorry for all the questions! :unsure: :blush: :wacko:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: To pot on or not to pot on....
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 06:51 »
So many questions, so little time!

1 - I'd let them grow just a little bit more, possibly a week or so, then split into individual 3" pots.

2 - Likewise, let then grow a bit more before thinning. Looks like they're not long through. Let the roots develop a bit more so you're less likely to disturb those you're not thinning out.

3 - Looks enough!

Query - if you didn't expect seeds to germinate - why plant them?  Godd job you did though!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:08 »
Thaks for the advice DD - that makes todays work in the garden a little easier (although still got grass to cut (that was so much easier when I had a small garden!), hanging baskets to plant, tumbling toms to get in baskets, grass around the pear tree to remove and then seed with flowers (women should really make things clear when giving instructons ::)), some tomatoes to pot on and carrots and parsnips to go in.....it's never ending this grow your own lark!).

As to not expecting seeds to germinate, being my first year I wasn't sure if every seed you planted germinated - also I planted some cucumbers and only 1 germinated out of 4, so based on that experience I thought I'd make sure! Now I have twice as many cabbages as I have space/need for - have no idea where I'm gonna put them but better that than not enough I s'pose. :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 09:49 »
You never can tell from one year to the next. Never usually have a problem with brassicas, I use a similar system to yourself,  but with smaller cells, (20 to a half seed tray), and one seed per cell.

Last year I had a major problem with outdoor cucumbers, got one out of 2 sowings of 6. This year I doubled up 2 per pot in six pots.

Result - 12 cucumbers.

babycakes

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 21:58 »
hi can i ask...what do you have growing in your 1st photo in the seed try (bottom of top picture  :happy: ) i thought that i had seen these in my veg plots and assumed they were weeds? they just look very similar  :wub: havent planted any thing new in these spaces. Thanks

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 22:01 »
They are brassicas of some description!
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

babycakes

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 22:15 »
they are in with my brassica's so good guess  :lol: but my cabbages are not babies/seedlings anymore theyre quite big! cabbages have been in at least few month now and these are just starting to show  :wub:

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 22:29 »
I have done it again!! Purple sprouting coming out of my ears!!
Old seed, seed tray and a generous sprinkle has given me 76 healthy plants which I potted on today and have put most on Freecycle!!
I really should learn,,,,,

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 09:01 »
hi can i ask...what do you have growing in your 1st photo in the seed try (bottom of top picture  :happy: ) i thought that i had seen these in my veg plots and assumed they were weeds? they just look very similar  :wub: havent planted any thing new in these spaces. Thanks

Hi vietteclark, in the modules at the front of the picture are 10 modules of calabrese and 10 modules of savoy cabbage. Behind them in the pots are brussel sprouts and nect to them in the seed tray is celeriac.

Hopefully that answers your question!

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 36 queries.