What can you grow in pots?

• 39 Replies

stompy

What can you grow in pots?
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:06 »
Im going to start growing veg at home and wondered what i can grow in 18" to 2' pots.

I know i can grow climbing beans/peas, courgettes, carrots and lettuce but waht else have you guys grow (successfully) in pots?

Andy

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Re: What can you grow in pots?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:15 »
I've got garlic growing really well in a large tub... beetroot seems to do well for me too. Just about to plant a couple of gooseberry bushes in a couple of half barrels as well. Oh, strawberries are good.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

FN

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 15:53 »
I have yet to find anything I can't grow in pots! (only have a balcony).
As well as what you've mentioned, I have also had good results with dwarf broad beans, kale, cabbage, purple sprouting, leeks, cucumbers, salad potatoes. Any soft fruit bushes / canes are also good - autumn fruiting raspberries have been really prolific. If you've got somewhere sheltered to put pots more exotic things like pomegranate and loquats work very well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 18:10 »
Parsnips (with careful choice of container and variety), beetroot, tomatoes.

Have you seen John's book?
http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/small-space-growing.php
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 18:32 »
Herbs.. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 18:48 »
Just about anything if you feed and water regularly. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 19:09 »
Subject to you actually liking them, it makes sense to grow things which are either prolific for the space they occupy (eg runner beans) or expensive to buy (mixed cut-and-come-again salad leaves, rocket.)

Most of the smaller herbs grow quite well in pots and can be crammed in fairly close together if you keep the more spreading types from swamping the others.

Sorry, not suggesting anything new here, but "value-added" and "can't do without" would have to be my guiding principles given the extra work involved in pot-growing.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 19:13 »
Radish and spring onions seem to do well for me in the past. edible flowers like nasturtium as well.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 19:17 »
Subject to you actually liking them, it makes sense to grow things which are either prolific for the space they occupy (eg runner beans) or expensive to buy (mixed cut-and-come-again salad leaves, rocket.)

Most of the smaller herbs grow quite well in pots and can be crammed in fairly close together if you keep the more spreading types from swamping the others

Sorry, not suggesting anything new here, but "value-added" and "can't do without" would have to be my guiding principles given the extra work involved in pot-growing.

hey my wise and wonderfull furry friend i have john,s book and please tell me it is easier in containers cos just trying this wears me out  :lol:
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 19:24 »
hey my wise and wonderfull furry friend i have john,s book and please tell me it is easier in containers cos just trying this wears me out  :lol:

The extra work is really in keeping the plants watered and fed according to their needs - not really a problem unless you plan to leave them unattended for long periods during the height of summer (please don't ask me for a definition of "summer"!    :unsure: :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 19:30 »
Courgettes!  :tongue2:
Adding water retaining gel is helpful too.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 19:47 »

The extra work is really in keeping the plants watered and fed according to their needs - not really a problem unless you plan to leave them unattended for long periods during the height of summer (please don't ask me for a definition of "summer"!    :unsure: :)

ooh wise and wonderfull sage and he who knowest best --- please tell me when we have a summer in this  country   :unsure:   :unsure:  :unsure: of much rain and cold most of mine are in containers and a few veggies spread around the shrubs in thje comunial garden

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 19:54 »

ooh wise and wonderfull sage and he who knowest best --- please tell me when we have a summer in this  country   :unsure:   :unsure:  :unsure: of much rain and cold most of mine are in containers and a few veggies spread around the shrubs in thje comunial garden
Bonkers!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 20:10 »
now then  ??? i donnt think i am bonkers but am trying my best to grow something so i can put it in the pot and say to myself --- i did that -- dont care if it,s it,s a radish or a coli -- but i will have grown it myself -- makes me happy and hey --- i am easily pleased  :lol:

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 20:52 »
If you want to grow courgettes and cucumbers in pots try lining the pot with a few layers of cardboard or you'll be watering (at least) twice a day in hot spells (should we ever have one)
Faff free zone!

xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
What do you grow in pots?

Started by igorina on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 07:12
by mushroom
xx
What do you grow in pots?

Started by igorina on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 14:12
by WG.
xx
Are there any seeds that I can grow now in pots

Started by newbiegrower on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 19:46
by WG.

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 30 queries.