What can you grow in pots?

• 39 Replies

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
Re: What can you grow in pots?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 22:01 »
We've grown the following in pots:

Carrots
Parsnips (these were transplants of thinnings put in a tattie bag - small, slightly wonky, but edible :D)
Cabbage
Calabrese
Sweetcorn (yip, ihe cobs didn't fully swell, but neither did the ones in the ground.  but we'll trial this again, after originally deciding not to  :nowink:)
Courgette - we laid a third of the pot with rotted manure and topped up with compost, feeding with tomato fertiliser
Various Summer squash (I'd need to check the varieties, but patty pan if i remember, wasn't successful, but the others were ok - they were in grow bags with a central pot for watering)
Salads
Potatoes
Dwarf sunflowers and a 'giant' we called George

This year we're doing all of the above at juniors patio and here - adding onions (sets and seedlings), leeks, broadbeans, peas, beans (see aunt sally's photo of her bean pot) and anything else we run out of room for.  :)

stompy

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 09:15 »
Well so far mine and the girls list comprises of. . . . .

Courgettes, yellow Taxi and green Defender, 1 plant per 24" pot
Climbing french bean, Cobra, 3 to 4 plants per 18" pot, 2 post sown 1 month appart
Climbing pea, not decided which yet. Any ideas? once again 2 pots sown 1 month appart
Spring onions
Tomatoes, already have them in the minni greenhouse. Sungold/Gardeners delight.
Strawberrys, 4 per pot, 3 per hanging basket
Chillis Jallapeno, in flower buckets
Salad leaves, in troughs fitted to the wall
Herbs, Sage/Rosemary in the border
2 sprout plants in the border for winter festival day
Carrots in flower buckets, Early nantes

Well thats it so far but im sure we'll add to it.
The climbing french beans should keep us supplied all through the summer and into early winter wth frozen beans.
Im actually feeling rather chippa now i've seen the list  :D

Forgot to add, Raspberrys in a 24" pot!

Andy
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:18 by stompy »

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 11:02 »
I am doing quite a bit in pots this year, raspberries, gooseberries, 5 new fruit trees all in pots, chilli, carrots in a huge pot they were sowed yesterday, loads of herbs 2012 is the year of the herb for me :) , strawberries, lettuce leaves, tomato's in tubs and hanging baskets and a few other bits and bobs. I am in the process of building and filling 4 raised beds I have the first one completed, I am saving these for the sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, peas, rainbow chard :) , broccoli, more salad leaved and little gem lettuces and a few other bits and bobs.

My raised beds are only small 2.3 metres by 1.6 metres so I tried to choose seeds based on size of end produce, for example in my house there is only me and the wife that will entertain cauliflower so I opted for a mini one from Fothergills called Candid Charm, I went for a sweetheart type cabbage as they are smaller so will not take up as much room in the beds. Spuds are in those grow sacks and then some literally just shoved in the ground in the front garden on a spare bit of land, they will either bloom or they wont we will see.

I am planning on putting some flower beds in the gardens a as well but instead of having them full of flowers I want to utilise things like bright light chard and maybe some other colourful leafy things, I think you can always find space somewhere unless you have no garden at all that is........

stompy

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 11:05 »
Ahh, thank you  PembsPanther, Chard has just gone on the list.  :D

kentishgal

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 17:57 »
Has anyone tried to grow artichokes in a tub??
(Im looking for non toxic plants to go in my cat run and they are interesting looking plants......doubt I would want to eat any of it though, artichokes dont appeal to me!!LOL :blush:)

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 17:59 »
(Im looking for non toxic plants to go in my cat run and they are interesting looking plants......doubt I would want to eat any of it though, artichokes dont appeal to me!!LOL :blush:)

mmmm I don't mean to sound rude but don't you think it would be better to put all your hard work and effort into something you might actually eat???

Just a thought :)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 18:09 »

mmmm I don't mean to sound rude but don't you think it would be better to put all your hard work and effort into something you might actually eat???

growing in pots myself and it is as johns books say --- small space so just grow what you would like to eat ---- full container of something you dont like= empty plate   :D    :lol:
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

kentishgal

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 18:36 »

growing in pots myself and it is as johns books say --- small space so just grow what you would like to eat ---- full container of something you dont like= empty plate   :D    :lol:

yes, but it would be much worse to put hard work and effort into something you really wanted to eat only to have your 'adorable' pussy cats eat it or use it as a toilet!!! Much better to put your containers of tasty plants in your garden and only stick more cat proof plants where they can get to them!!;)
(trust me, Ive got potatoes, strawberries, blueberries, garlic, onions and salad bits already out in pots to eat....just thought I ask about artichokes as Ive never seen them mentioned as a container plant).

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 19:11 »

I grew them in tubs last year. Didn't get a huge harvest but got enough off of two tubers, plus the rabbits LOVED the leaves. I think I might've harvested them a bit too soon. This year I will cut off the leaves before the first frost and then leave the tubers for another month or so.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 01:25 »
If you want to grow courgettes and cucumbers in pots try lining the pot with a few layers of cardboard or you'll be watering (at least) twice a day in hot spells (should we ever have one)

point duly noted there bazh my courgettes i did,nt, and too late now as they are well established but still have gherkin,pumpkin,and various other squashes to plant out --- so do i use that little trick with them ??? :blink:  :blink:

kentishgal

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 12:52 »
Oooh, I forgot... I also have minarette apple and plum trees in pots! :D
Am also thinking of putting some rhubarb in a pot if mine continues to be destroyed by slugs.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 13:07 »
Am also thinking of putting some rhubarb in a pot if mine continues to be destroyed by slugs.
i have seen on a shopping channell mini trees that are grafted and only grow a couple of feet and still produce fruit,is this correct or just clever advertising for people like me to get sucked into  :wub:

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 15:01 »
i have seen on a shopping channell mini trees that are grafted and only grow a couple of feet and still produce fruit,is this correct or just clever advertising for people like me to get sucked into  :wub:

If that was on Ideal WOrld Jay I have 4 of them in pots in my back garden :) An apple, pear, cherry and plum, it is their first year so cannot comment on fruit yields they are only just awakening now with gree leaves just forming.

On a side note I did get a golden delicious from Pundstretcher a couple of weeks ago, 6 foot high in bloom in the shop for £5.99! Really pleased with this one and again in a pot :)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 06:21 »

If that was on Ideal WOrld Jay I have 4 of them in pots in my back garden :) An apple, pear, cherry and plum, it is their first year so cannot comment on fruit yields they are only just awakening now with gree leaves just forming.

On a side note I did get a golden delicious from Pundstretcher a couple of weeks ago, 6 foot high in bloom in the shop for £5.99! Really pleased with this one and again in a pot :)

yes it was on ideal world and i do all my shopping via internet or phone with my cards and have brought rubish before --on your say so i will now go for a fruit tree for  my pots - hangering after a blueberriy ((top hat ) which is designed for pot,s apparenty  :blink: :lol:

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 06:51 »
If you want to grow courgettes and cucumbers in pots try lining the pot with a few layers of cardboard or you'll be watering (at least) twice a day in hot spells (should we ever have one)

point duly noted there bazh my courgettes i did,nt, and too late now as they are well established but still have gherkin,pumpkin,and various other squashes to plant out --- so do i use that little trick with them ??? :blink:  :blink:

I haven't grown any of the others in containers Jay but as they all like a drink I'd say yes go for it.
Faff free zone!

xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
What do you grow in pots?

Started by igorina on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 14:12
by WG.
xx
What do you grow in pots?

Started by igorina on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 07:12
by mushroom
xx
Garlic - can I grow in pots?

Started by Helen_uk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 08, 2009, 23:54
by Trillium

Page created in 0.891 seconds with 37 queries.