asparagus question

• 25 Replies

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
asparagus question
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 01:36 »
I've been looking for a couple of years for 3 yr old crowns and hav'nt had any luck in finding them Sad

If you'd have sown some seed you would be almost there by now.

naturesparadise

asparagus question
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 12:44 »
just got this email from T&M it was very good  info sent so thought id post this here for others
Dear Darren

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

Crowns supplied by Thompson and Morgan are year old crowns, spring planted varieties are planted late March to April . Autumn planted varieties as first year crowns are planted October/November. Crowns should never be planted in waterlogged soils or when the ground is frosted. If planting is delayed for a few days keep the roots moist by wrapping in a damp cloth, place in a cool but frost free location.

Asparagus plants are a long term crop and a well managed Asparagus bed can be productive for 15 – 20 years.

Choose a free draining, open, sunny situation sheltered from strong winds and prepare the site by digging well and removing all weeds but paying particular attention to the removal of perennial weeds. A weed infested Asparagus bed is difficult to manage.

As you dig incorporate liberal quantities of well rotted manure or compost. When the crowns arrive dig a trench about 20cm (8”) deep and approximately 30cm (12”) wide to allow each individual crown to have its roots fully spread out. Create a mound about 7cm (3”) high along the bottom of the trench for the crowns to rest on, letting their fleshy roots spread either side of the mound. Set the crowns 37-45cm (15-18”) apart. Cover carefully with 5-7cm (2-3”) of soil firming as you go but take care not to damage the roots. If planting more than one row allow at least 75cm (21” – 2ft) between rows

As the plants grow gradually fill in the trench, hand weed the bed as necessary as hoeing can damage the tender roots.

It is essential that the crowns do not dry out during their first summer period, do not cut any spears during the first season but allow them to develop foliage (ferns). This allows the crowns to absorb energy through photosynthesis and increase in size and vigour. Cut down the foliage in late autumn once it has yellowed and liberally cover the plants with well rotted organic matter. In March each year dress with a balanced general fertiliser, carefully raking in 30g (1oz) per plant. In the second year one or two spears could be harvested during April/May, but it is from the third year after planting that full production commences.

Stop harvesting spears towards the end of May, allow further spear production to develop into foliage as above, this will allow energies back into the crowns for the next seasons production.

We hope the above information is helpful, and if we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Janet Challis
Technical Customer Care Advisor

agapanthus

asparagus question
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 16:55 »
Muntjac used to grow asparagus in an acre field before we moved up here.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=1827&highlight=asparagus

All the advice you've been given is the way he used to grow it apart from one thing.....he mounded the soil ontop of the plants and then flattened it making sure that the  flattened mound is about 15" high. Asparagus hates to be sat in moisture and by growing it this way the water runs straight through.

polly tunnel

asparagus
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 16:56 »
I planted 20 1 year old crowns two years ago. My asparagus bed is 15 feet by 7 feet. I have not had a spear yet as instructed but they look particularly weedy (in stature that is) and i am giving them one more year to buck up or they are out. I am encouraged by the comments that other guys have had the same start yet still achieved a good crop on year three. everything I have read says lots of poo and well weeded should give good crop..hummmmm we'll see.

mor

• gardening tips and idea
asparagus question
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 20:06 »
its usually best to  grown them when its a 1 year crown
http://gardening-tips-idea.com/HowtoGrowAsparagus.html

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: asparagus
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 21:38 »
Quote from: "polly tunnel"
I planted 20 1 year old crowns two years ago. My asparagus bed is 15 feet by 7 feet. I have not had a spear yet as instructed but they look particularly weedy (in stature that is) and i am giving them one more year to buck up or they are out. I am encouraged by the comments that other guys have had the same start yet still achieved a good crop on year three. everything I have read says lots of poo and well weeded should give good crop..hummmmm we'll see.

Mine were sold to me as 2yo crowns and mine are still weedy looking;  You need to give them some time in the ground to establish, send out some new roots and to put on some good growth... no good giving them a "bulk up or you're out" ultimatum - they can't hear you and will still need another year to establish  :roll:

gobs

asparagus question
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 22:01 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the advice you've been given is the way he used to grow it apart from one thing.....he mounded the soil ontop of the plants and then flattened it making sure that the  flattened mound is about 15" high. Asparagus hates to be sat in moisture and by growing it this way the water runs straight through.

Well, you often get told how to suck eggs for no reason. :roll:

The interesting part is  that SOMETIMES  you learn something even if you've done it for half a century. :oops:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

woodburner

asparagus question
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 16:19 »
Bob Flowerdew recommends growing your own from seed as they establish better. I think he also recommends the four year rotation system too which seems a lot easier for beginners, especially those who like asparagus a lot. (So might cut too many spears for the plant to survive anyway.)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

agapanthus

asparagus question
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 20:22 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Quote from: "agapanthus"

Well, you often get told how to suck eggs for no reason. :roll:

The interesting part is  that SOMETIMES  you learn something even if you've done it for half a century. :oops:  :lol:

Very true Gobs!

SalJ1980

asparagus question
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 22:30 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
Bob Flowerdew recommends growing your own from seed as they establish better.

Glad to hear that woodburner, as I stupidly ordered asparagus seed without thinking...I KNOW that you buy them as crowns but didn't think about that as I ordered.  :oops:

Thinking about it, that was the same order where I chose Japanese onion seeds instead of sets, also by accident!  :roll:  :lol:
Sal

Organic...so far!

gobs

asparagus question
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 22:36 »
We have been through this in the past, I think the general concensus was you needed loads of space to make something of this brilliant idea of Bob's of treating  decades long lived perennials as a short lived stuff.

xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
asparagus question

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 21:08
by gobs
xx
asparagus question

Started by nickyveglover on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 23:08
by nickyveglover
xx
Asparagus question

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 21:59
by muntjac

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 29 queries.