Rented property with large unkempt garden

• 12 Replies

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Rented property with large unkempt garden
« on: May 08, 2019, 18:30 »
Ive moved into a rented farm cottage which has a long, large, unloved, unkempt garden at the front. Ive inherited a couple of large trees, a couple of small trees and a mass of weeds 😩 I feel bewildered and dont know where to start? Please can anyone kindly offer a little practical advice so that I dont fail before Ive even started? Pictures to follow... Im in the Scottish Borders area 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

snowdrops

Re: Rented property with large unkempt garden
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 19:29 »
How long is your tenancy for ? Strimming it all as low as you can & cover it with whatever you can get, cardboard or something to exclude the light, without light plants cannot photosynthesise & become weak ( this can take over a year, weeds in particular can be particularly difficult. If its a farm cottage you must be near a farm, if so & you can get well rotted manure, pile as much of that on top of the cardboard & if you can cover with weed suppressant membrane or tarpaulins or if nothing else black plastic, you can maybe get the plastic farmers use round their bales for hay etc 2 nd hand so possibly free. Just be careful it doesnt shred as then its a nightmare to eliminate. Then start to uncover to plant into the manure when you are ready
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 19:50 »
Thank you snowdrops 🤗 thats really great advice for me to start with! I can stay here as long as I want so Id love a cottage garden while Im here. My budget is limited though so I can only afford to do a bit of the garden at a time.

jezza

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 20:28 »
hello  if you'd been nearer you could have borrowed my big brushcutter it'll clear a lot of ground in a few minutes,you say you are in rented property is it worth asking the landlord to take a pasture topper in if there's access jezza

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 20:31 »
If there are no restrictions on the use of the land (front-garden) the advice  from snowdrops sounds spot on to me. If the grassed area out front was a lawn you might be able to cut is with a powered mower (depending on the height) and then mark out the area you want to have as a vegetable plot.

You could also mark a bed nearest the road for herbs / cut-flowers for the house and maybe some fruit bushes.

It sounds exciting... almost like drawing on a new canvas but take it easy, don't try to everything in one go. Let it grow on you, do a bit at a time and then you can decide which bit to tackle next.

A dwarf plum tree and compact apples might work too. Have fun... I would but easy does it. :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 07:41 »
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Looks like itll take me a while but slow and steady wins the race eh?

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 11:57 »
It sure does! It's always best to get used to your garden before doing anything major. Apart from Snow's advice, when you're wandering around see where you naturally walk to and from as this will help you to plan what feels right for you.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 16:54 »
Well, I’ve made a start. Not much gardening done yet but shed base is down and the greenhouse is up, courtesy of a handy man!  So I’m happy so far. Not sure why my pictures are on their side though?
1DDC2893-8D53-4A2B-BC50-8D223386A774.jpeg
92AE6449-7D3B-4B56-8390-1D3ED5A1899E.jpeg
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 16:57 by nipper31 »

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 21:20 »
HI,

Have a look into  no dig.  Make your self some good sized compost bin, you might be able to get some manure delivered for free.  Also get in contact with some local tree surgeons for wood chips down here they give it a way for free it's great for paths and mulching.

Like others have said take it slow.

You could make and rough plan of what you wish to do to it then section it up.

Have fun very, I'm very jealous of you.

Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 09:02 »
Not sure why my pictures are on their side though?

You're not the first - were your pictures taken using an i-phone?

Apple regard it as a feature of their software rather than a glitch  ::) - apparently if you rotate the image on your phone all the way round (i.e. by 360o) and then save, it should then upload with the correct orientation.

An alternative is to upload to something like Dropbox and upload photo to the forum from there.

(Don't have an i-phone so can't comment on how feasible or effective these suggestions are, or even whether other devices are affected too.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 17:08 »
Shed went up today and I bought a new strimmer! Very excited  :D
963855B6-333D-41EC-9484-6BCC24DE764E.jpeg

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 19:24 »
Looks sturdy, what size did you get?

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 14:44 »
Looks sturdy, what size did you get?
Its a second-hand shed, 6x4ft I think? My neighbour gave me the greenhouse but Ive had to pay for the dismantling and re-building, so thats been the biggest cost. But theyre up now and Ive got plenty of gardening to do now   :D

xx
large trellis garden divider

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post August 29, 2015, 13:20
by Goosegirl
xx
Unusually large marigolds ?

Started by Sideshoot on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 21:53
by joyce c
xx
Transplanting large herbs

Started by Ice on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 21:16
by Ice
xx
Very large shrub removal

Started by Heather_S on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post September 23, 2006, 15:24
by James

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 51 queries.