does anyone use the Growveg planning tool?

• 51 Replies

TheSpartacat

Re: does anyone use the Growveg planning tool?
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2012, 12:25 »
Yup, i've subscribed to it this year and i like using it... i used excel last year, and the year before i used pencil and paper... Pencil and paper was the most fiddly i found, because i kept changing the plan around and having to redraw it for prettyness sake  :lol: Plus, your limited by the size of the page, which is fine if you have say 8 beds, but if you've broken up your plot into more sections of different veg, it just get clumsy and 'squeezed in' looking.
Excel was easier... but there's the faff of working out the amount you can squeeze in...
I don't mind paying £15 for something useful that i enjoy using.... I've spent more money on things i've had less fun out of, like a lottery flutter...

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2012, 13:39 »
This maybe useful for some of you....

http://igrowveg.com/free-resources/

It is basically a variety of excell spreadsheets. Just right click the pdf and excell files and save target as...

Hope this helps :)

plot53b

• Experienced Member
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2012, 14:47 »
I'm all for planning - I get very little time with my work so with a plan I know exactly what to do (most times) when I get a couple of hours.

I've actually started using Google SketchUp which is free. It takes a bit of getting used to, but the 3d model function and the fact I can 'sketch' my plot exactly in Google Earth really helps. Not sure there is any way I can share my design(?) I will take a look....

Acquired a third of a plot in January 2011 which was extended to three quarters in December 2011. Managed by myself and my 6 year old son.

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 17:38 »

My reasoning is thus: I don't have a clue what I'm doing so any help I can get (at anytime of the day or night) is always welcome .. the books I have are quite limited when it comes to planning a plot.

Horses for courses etc.

Agree with this entirely. Personally I don't have the time at the moment to sit and work it all out manually due to work and family commitments, but luckily my work relaxes a bit at the time I need to be sowing and looking after everything.

Besides what's wrong with a really easy and intuitive application that helps get younger generations into this like me-only 2 years ago I wouldn't go near a weed or a flower.  Now I have a garden with both and trees, and an allotment that's ready for sowing.

I'm quite capable with pen and paper having, and am very familiar with excel (an excel bunny as my wife says) having studied design and engineering, but growveg simifies the whole process for me. Ultimately it's a time saver for me, but I don't let it limit my curiosity or imagination - that's where these tools can be limited.

snowdrops

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 21:33 »
Really does make you wonder how the older generations coped.  :tongue2:

One thing they didn't do was spend time on a gardening forum when not gardening :ohmy:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 21:36 »
That's why they had families of 8 or more!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

snowdrops

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 21:41 »
1 to dig,1 to weed, 1 to sow,1 to water, 1 to plant,1 to pick,1 to cook &

1 to PLAN :D

xx
Growveg.com planner HELP, please

Started by cammi on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 09, 2014, 13:42
by Snoop
xx
Growveg Garden Planner

Started by The Red Baron on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 10:02
by Paulj
xx
Help needed for name of tool

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 11:06
by DD.
xx
Help with garden tool

Started by DeadlyNightshade on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 01:33
by Howard

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 35 queries.