Mid term review

• 3 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Mid term review
« on: July 05, 2023, 20:27 »
Well we are into July and after a slow start, things are slowly coming together.

Soft fruit has done well so far.  Top fruit looking promsing.
Potatoes growing away but they were late in, so haven’t lifted any yet.
Onions, leeks, cabbage all doing OK, swedes looking a bit pathetic, but they often do and then come good in the end.
Broad beans not great, mangetout have done well, french beans looking good.  Dwarf beans now have pods, climbers flowers.
Leafy greens have been slow, but now got some decent sized chard and spinach beet.  Later sowings are getting there.
Beetroots suddenly starting to look like they are doing something. 
Sweetcorn, squash, courgette, cukes and outdoor tomatoes starting to take off.
Greenhouse stuff in full swing.  Fruits forming on aubergines, peppers, chillies and tomatoes.

How is everyone else getting on?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Mid term review
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 21:00 »
Here, cucumbers are going crazy, could eat a La Diva (half size) cuke every day, if I wanted to  :D
Runner beans are growing like crazy, and sweetcorn is growing, but slowly, but then again they were sown late because of my move. Peppers have just started flowering, so it's fingers crossed time for them...

Tomatoes in the greenhouse, I'm a bit worried about, the foliage is really curly and some leaves are going crispy  :( I don't know if it was the very hot hot weather, with relatively cool nights, last month, or some dodgy compost. I can't see any aphids/bugs, so your guess is as good as mine  ::)

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 07:01 »
Beans are doing well, all at the top of their poles.
Had to do a third sowing of parsnips and carrots but looking good now.  Everything in the greenhouse and polytunnel looks positive.  Pleased that I can look forward to what looks to be an excellent grape and fig harvest. 
Beetroots, potatoes and sweetcorn look fine.
Had 2 courgettes so far. They and the squash starting to motor.
Peas very mixed.  Stokesley, Magnolia Blossom and Robinson okay.  Birds and slugs have rather done for my Rosakrone and Kent Blue though.
Strawberries excellent as are gooseberries.
On the downside pigeons attacked my Syrian black broad beans and the raspberries (new crops for them this year).  The resident fox sat on my netting and squashed my Texel greens.
The worst by far though is the obliteration of my entire crop of garlic with onion white rot. It was looking a fantastic crop too.  Not sure where it came from either.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 09:51 »
After a very slow start my sugar snaps got going but haven't produced many pods, but the few I had were delicious. Dwarf French beans looking ok but no flowers as yet. Leeks look ok too. In the greenhouse my sweet corn, although shorter than usual, has tassels which I tap every day. My two toms are ok but no sign of them ripening. Strawbs not flowered much (boo), rasps in tubs very small, and my Joan J in a raised bed are looking fine leaf-wise but no sign of flowers as yet. Sure that really hot spell has a lot to answer for.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Mid to long term review of supermarket dwarf trees esp Lidl/ Aldi

Started by El.mag on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2024, 21:28
by Yorkie
xx
Long term veg investments

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 11:35
by Dekzion
xx
short term planting advice

Started by ember on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 10:32
by oldcow
xx
Review!

Started by Greendream on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 21:22
by Greendream

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 41 queries.