Allium Leaf Miner

• 6 Replies

CSChris89

Allium Leaf Miner
« on: July 06, 2023, 16:33 »
Afternoon all,

Has anyone had issues with allium leaf miner this year?

I had around 200 onions affected this year which I’ve had to write off, most others over my allotment site have also had it. Onions at my parents allotment site 5 miles away have been affected too this year, when they never have been previously. Even the old boys with tonnes of experience have no idea what it is, one of them cut all his affected foliage off and is in complete denial that he’s got an issue.

It’s all a bit weird as it’s never been a problem before, I wasn’t even aware it was an issue until recently when I was trying to find out what was going on.

Anyone got any insight into why this has suddenly become an issue when it never has been previously? And potentially how to prevent it from causing issues next year?

Cheers,

Chris

IMG_6840.jpeg

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
Re: Allium Leaf Miner
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 16:45 »
I've got it in my plot. Apparently nothing you can do, as the grubs can overwinter in the soil so netting won't help. Perhaps try rotation. My onions which have it are next to my leeks which haven't got it. So perhaps the timing of planting makes a difference? I put the leeks in about a month after the onions

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 17:09 »
Used to get it on the plot some years, not so much on others, it always seemed worse when we had hot weather, though. So I'm not surprised if this is a bad year for it.
Leaf Miner or Leek Moth?
https://www.rhs.org.uk/biodiversity/allium-leaf-miner

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 19:51 »
I’ve had it bad the last two years. Think I’ll cover my sets and leeks with fleece next year as the flys are active around April and again later in summer to get the leeks as well.

simon hughes

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 06:05 »
I have ALM severely on leeks every year. For some reason it’s not really an issue with onions. Considering it will wipe out a whole bed leeks in a blink of an eye I find it quite strange about the onions. It’s defo ALM as well rather than something else. I have some ultra fine netting this year. Will see if it works.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 08:00 »
It has been around on our allotment site for a few years now.  I find fine insect mesh covers do help and I get almost no damage now. 

You need the solid looking white stuff and make sure it is held down at the edges well.  I stretch it over water pipe hoops, peg it and then put something like a plank of wood down the edge for good luck. 

My onions and leeks move round the plot each year into a different space, as I swap them around with potatoes and brassicas to get as much rotation as I can manage.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2023, 09:11 »
on our main onion bed about 12x4 feet we had covered this with insect mesh mainly to keep foxes off when seedlings first put in left this on for a good while now taken off none of these onions have any damage but the spares that were put into gaps between other crops [cant throw anything away] many of these have twisted and distorted stems i think the covering early on has helped but maybe we may get damage to these later in season??.
from bow like to grow

xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 01:08
by vron
xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by Leafydan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2022, 16:54
by sunshineband
xx
Allium Leaf Miner.

Started by realfood on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 11:47
by JayG
xx
Allium leaf miner !

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 02, 2022, 22:39
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 37 queries.