Containers

• 20 Replies

woodburner

Containers
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 01:16 »
Your local painter/decorator might have bulk size paint pots to get rid of. They might not be too good for planting in (because of paint) but they are very useful around the veg patch.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Elcie

Containers
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 09:57 »
Any garden centre would have the water retaining gel/pellets Angel.  You put them into the soil, most usually containers/hanging baskets, and they soak up the water and release it slowly.

Although, in theory, you are meant to water less with them in, it probably just equates to making containers the same as plants growing in the ground, as the containers usually dry out quicker than the ground.

I think you can even buy some compost/soil with the pellets already in but I might be wrong.

kezlou

Containers
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 16:16 »
Try your local kallkwik printer shop, or any other one for that matter. I got four huge barrels for free. I also use old bins, milk bottles chopped in half etc. for growing in.
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

ANGEL_S

Containers
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 18:43 »
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, they are great. If you have any more let me know. I have mentioned for family and friends to keep me yogurt pots and any trays from meat etc and I have started saving empty toilet rolls for the leeks. Quite sad really excited about all this and not even bought a seed yet,lol.

Kezlou - Are they plastic barrels?

Elcie - Do you just mix the granules into the soil as you are putting it into the container? Or does it go under roots only?

Elcie

Containers
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 19:42 »
To be honest I have never used them but my mum used them regularly for the wonderful hanging baskets she used to make.  I am planning on using them in containers this year and believe they just go in with the soil (although check the packet!)

As for seeds - if there is a Dobbies garden centre near you they are 50% off at the moment!  All seeds!

kezlou

Containers
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 15:33 »
Yes the barrels are plastic and come with a lid.
Only thing is you will have to give them a good clean out before you can use them.

xx
PSB in containers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2020, 15:18
by Yorkie
xx
Veg in containers

Started by digga666 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 12:03
by digga666
xx
PSB in containers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 22:11
by JoshP
xx
Containers

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 07, 2007, 15:45
by little sweetpeas

Page created in 0.567 seconds with 32 queries.