Equipment & Gadgets

• 21 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Re: Equipment & Gadgets
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 15:56 »
Just been reading reviews of the strainer on a US website and it seems it is not suitable for straining Blackberries or Raspberries. It would appear that these berries cause the plastic cone to crack and the company will not replace them if Blackberries have been processed through it. KA dont list Blackberries on the fruits that can be processed).
I find it amazing that it handles apples and tomatoes with ease (everyone on reviews raves about it for those 2 fruits) but they all agreed that it was a big no no for Balckberries/raspberries.
You would think apple pips would be tougher wouldn't you?

Also if you go to Amazon US site to order it they only sell the strainer parts - not the complete unit so Its back to the drawing board  :(
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 16:38 »
Apple pips are cooked first, which makes them softer and thus why they'll process despite their size. I've not processed raspberries myself, but their seeds really aren't that large. Don't like blackberries so not sure on their size.

It's common in North America to sell parts separately since not everyone wants processing features. You'd first buy the main mixer unit (which is fab in itself, BTW), then purchase both the unit for making sausages as it contains the main unit for processing, then purchase the strainer unit which fits into the main unit (rather than the sausage stuffing bit).  It's an extra hundred pounds or so for the 2 attachment packages, but well worth it. I've used mine regularly for the last 20 years and they're still in excellent shape, other than the main beater which wore out from excessive use and I replaced this year.

fiano60

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 20:27 »
 Just a thought but wouldnt it be easier to strain before removing the juice                               
 also kenwood seems to have an all dancing and singing models now
would they be worth a look   Fiona

cricketwidow

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 21:54 »
I have a wooden gadget looks like a mushroom you can get one from any good kitchen shop and you use it in the sieve to push the fruit through and it leaves the pips behind.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 09:55 »
The wooden mushroom sounds good - I think I have one of those in my Mum's old sewing box that was used for darning socks (something not done any more!) I wonder if that would work?

I'm such a sucker for a gadget that I have a variety of them sitting in any spare spaces I can poke them out of the way and have resolved not to buy anything again that wont be used. I'm putting them on Ebay soon as most are virtually unused. They include a Kenwood juicer (removes pips but along with the skin and pulp), a potato ricer, a stainless steel mouli, a 3 dish warming drawer and many more things I wont bore you with. I have given away an electric food mixer (but that was because hubby treated me to a KitchenAid I had been lusting after), a coffee machine - still got another one sitting idle, and various other bit of kit never used.
I'm not sure there is a cure for this disease  :blink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 09:59 »
oh there is...................it's an empty bank account and a torn up credit card  :lol:

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 10:15 »
oh there is...................it's an empty bank account and a torn up credit card  :lol:
Ha ha - I remember the days when my kids were still at home and there was nowt or very little in the old bank account but we didn't have credit cards then so I never got to rely on them and don't bother too much with them now as a result. I know my children use them a lot and it really scares me but they are both in their 40's and all grown up so thats up to them.
I think it's a guilt thing with me - it's not that I can't afford them now - I just feel so guilty they dont get used. Bit like the clothes hanging in wardrobe that haven't seen light of day. Bought them as they seemed a bargain and then never the right occasion to wear them - or even worse, saving them for best. I'm sure it all goes back to your childhood when money for this sort of thing was non existent. Hey ho......off to EBay I go  ;)

xx
Apple peeler gadgets ?

Started by 8doubles on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 17:09
by Trillium
xx
Jam and Chutney equipment

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 15:10
by Debz
xx
UK Canning Equipment

Started by gerpsych on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 18:25
by Yorkie
xx
Jam equipment suppliers

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

32 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 21:51
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 29 queries.