Squash

• 13 Replies

CaroM

Squash
« on: September 17, 2009, 09:42 »
Hello all

This is effectively my first post so I apologise if I am going over old ground...

My first year of growing stuff was a hastily-thrown together business, the result of mostly planting seeds selected by my partner and step-children on a trip to the garden centre. This year I want to be more focused about it, and actually decide logically what would be a good idea to grow.

The fact that the squash I get from the supermarket (butternut, mostly) seems to last *for ever* in my veg basket (I'm sure I've kept them for months at a time before using) makes me think that they'd be a good thing to grow. I'm not sure whether all varieties would have the same 'keeping' qualities, however?  I'm quite interested in growing spagetti squash.

Anyway, I just wondered how easy/hard they are to grow? Is this a nonsensical plan?

Caro x

noshed

Re: Squash
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:46 »
They are quite easy to grow - start off in pots and then plant out in spring. They are huge plants though and take up a lot of space. I just planted one out, it grew and grew then decided it would prefer to be in the adjacent bed, so it crept over there and produced an enormous squash, which I hope is waiting for me to harvest on Saturday. They need a good rich soil and plenty of water - I just fed it with comfrey tea and let the rain do the rest.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Sue33

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:34 »

Our butternut squash have been fantastic this year, we eat lots of it so that's great, from three plants we have about 5/6 on each but they do like to spread themselves around  :) we also found two plants that must have come from stray seeds from last year, they're also doing well although they're quite small still.  Like you say they do seem to store well so hopefully won't have to buy any this winter  :D  In my experience I would say go for it if you have the space!

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 10:47 »
As long as you let the squash ripen properly so that the skins harden they will keep well into the Winter if kept in a cool and airy, frost free area. Some say bring them into the warm house for 10 days before storing.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 20:28 »
I've grown squash this year and have had fantastic results! As previously mentioned they can become very large so need lots of space. Dont be tempted to use seed from shop bought squash, I dont think it gives good quality fruits, you need to make sure you buy seeds. As mentioned before, leave the fruits on the plant to ripen completely before cutting to make sure they develop the hard skin needed for storage.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 20:33 »
I'll second the need of large space.

I've got 5 plants in a 40 sq metre patch and they've still run into the adjoining leeks & sweetcorn.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Shandy

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 22:17 »
I have had 9 Butternut Squash from 5 plants, which are just ripening now.  This is the first year I have grown squash and initially thought I would get no fruit, but I was patient and it has paid off.

I noticed the advice on storage "As long as you let the squash ripen properly so that the skins harden they will keep well into the Winter if kept in a cool and airy, frost free area. Some say bring them into the warm house for 10 days before storing."

But is this in the light or in darkness?  Can anyone please help.

Happy Gardening.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 22:24 »

Shandy

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 22:31 »
Thanks for the link DD.

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 23:30 »
Although Butternut are great there are easier varieties, though I see you are in the tropics so maybe Butternut will be OK. We dedicate a 10'x25' bed to Courgettes, Pumpkins (small!), Squashes and Gourds and surround it with a windbreak netting fence - it helps them get off to a good start, as they are easily wind damaged when they first go out, and stops them escaping or grabbing us as we walk past later on. Choose any Winter Squashes such as Crown Prince, Pink Banana or Queensland Blue. Some years we get silly crops - see avatar of 2005 crop.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 10:56 »
squashes are definitely worth growing as there are so many varieties to try that you would never find in the supermarket.  Last night we tried our first 'Blue Ballet' squash and it was delicious. One word of warning though - if you grow several varieties near each other they often cross pollinate and if you save the seeds to plant the following year you might get some unexpected results  ;)
Rachael

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 11:11 »
I have had 9 Butternut Squash from 5 plants, which are just ripening now.  This is the first year I have grown squash and initially thought I would get no fruit, but I was patient and it has paid off.

I noticed the advice on storage "As long as you let the squash ripen properly so that the skins harden they will keep well into the Winter if kept in a cool and airy, frost free area. Some say bring them into the warm house for 10 days before storing."

But is this in the light or in darkness?  Can anyone please help.

I keep mine on wire racks in a sunny conservatory and they last till may. The last ones to be eaten had seeds sprouting inside but the flesh was still perfect.

CaroM

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 13:26 »
Thanks all.

Talking of things spreading out, my courgette/marrow plants are massive, but I just noticed that my neighbour's plants across the road are tiny by comparison. Are there varieties that don't grow as big as others? Or are they just stunted (they definitely have good sized courgettes on them)?

I don't know much at all, do I?

:D

C xx

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 14:14 »
i have my squashes down the bottom hlaf of my lottie and have covered it wilth black plastic it takes of 3/4 off the bottom of it as i havent dug that bit over yet,,its a fab way to use up the space,,

they have a bit of mildrew on them now,but a few weeks ago looked great ,,a carpet of green leaves,you cdnt see one bit of the blk plastic .

question...one of my big butternut squashes fell of thats was too heavy ,not ripe yet ,will it still ripen now its snapped of plant ??
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Squash

Started by HaggisWhisperer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 21:22
by mumofstig
xx
Squash ID help please

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 13:55
by mumofstig
xx
Squash!

Started by Chris929 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2020, 17:53
by Aidy

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 36 queries.