Squash

• 3 Replies

HaggisWhisperer

Squash
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:49 »
I am growing some squash (winter and summer) in my greenhouse. Although I have been fertilizing the female flowers using a paintbrush I think that a couple of the flowers were maybe not properly fertilized as the tiny squash doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. I've got other squash of the same variety that seem to be growing fine. Do I just leave the unfertilized squash to drop off naturally or should I cut them off the plant?

I'm not surprised there are fertilization problems - it seems that all the plants (summer and winter alike) decide to produce either all female or all male flowers at the same time before switching. Don't suppose there is anything I can really do about that ...

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
Re: Squash
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 21:06 »
I would just leave any unfertilized squashes to drop off naturally. The method I use for fertilizing squashes under cover, such as cold frame or lidl mini tunnel is detailed on my web site:-
When the Winter Squash start to flower, provide access to the bees to carry out pollination. If you are growing them under cover or in a greenhouse, you will have to hand pollinate the female flowers, as shown in the photo on right.

Pick the male flower when the pollen is “mobile”, and carefully strip off the petals. Insert the pollen bearing male anther(yellow) into the middle of the female stigma(orange), making sure that the pollen grains are transferred.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 21:15 »
You should be able to use flowers from courgettes, marrows or pumpkins to pollinate squashes and vica versa as they are all closely related and cross pollinate each other. The resulting fruits will be the squashes you expect but seed from them will produce hybrids.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 21:31 by Salmo »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 21:22 »
Well i never knew that............every day's a school day :)

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Squash

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2006, 11:33
by wellingtons
xx
First squash!

Started by janeheritage on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 23:51
by Babyshoes
xx
Squash

Started by CaroM on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 14:14
by jolly jen

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 38 queries.