antibiotics

• 6 Replies

skyblue

antibiotics
« on: October 12, 2007, 13:48 »
Hi All

i have wynadotte bantam that has had a cold for a while. the other half is taking it to the vets tonight (she was going anyway with her rabbit). i asked if it has to have antibiotics that they are ones that can be put in the water. the vet then asked ME what sort of antibiotics would i suggest. can anyone tell me of any they have had good results with.
Featheredfriends.org.uk

muntjac

antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 14:14 »
none available for colds in chickens as i know of ,.just a vitamin shot from some dandelions  :wink: but then id question if the bird has a cold or something else wrong....... sorry  :)
still alive /............

skyblue

antibiotics
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 14:18 »
Hi all

it might not be a cold. the chicken is making a raspy noise when its breathing. i asked a while ago about it on here and was told dandelion i have tried that for a while but it hasn't got any better.

muntjac

antibiotics
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 14:35 »
take it to the vet it has a respitory problem .  there are a number of these so best for a  vet with bird experiance to sort it out  :)

ness

• Experienced Member
antibiotics
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 21:18 »
I'm no expert but have looked into chicken illnesses as I had the misfortune to have an ill chicken in my first ever flock.  I know that baytril is an antibiotic used for poultry.  It was given as an injection initially and followed up with syringes of liquid orally.  It didn't work for my chicken but that was due to a misdiagnosis and the nature of her complaint (RIP Daisy  :cry: )  But it sounds as if your chook may have a respiratory illness which may benefit from antib's.
I have also heard of Tylan but am not sure how that is administered.  
I know how hard it is to get a decent poultry vet, we have got a great one near us but they won't see single birds from a flock of less than 30, they advised me to see my normal vet, I think Daisy could have been spared a week of suffering if she had seen the poultry vet  :evil:
Hope this helps
Ness

Foxy

antibiotics
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 10:03 »
Tylan is injectable  (in the breast)for severe rispiratory infections- Baytril is a good all rounder useful for upper respiratory infections such as mycoplasma.
Aways though take to vet ASAP if concerned and isolate from other birds in case is infectious.
A chicken cold isn't usually too serious just a bird sneezing a bit but still eating and drinking as normal.
Anything that has  a thick discharge around beak and eyes, fluffed up or a rattling/wheeze/ beak open and gasping/ mucous under wings (from beak whilst preening) swollen under eyes (sinuses) indicates an infection that needs attention.

Hope this helps!! :)  :)

jammy

antibiotics
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 18:52 »
I had two chickens with mycoplasma and the vet gave me injections for them (unfortunately at the time i was quite new to chicken keeping and didnt ask what the antibiotic was but sounds like tylan as foxy said above) but they were each injected twice a day for 5 days with pre-filled disposable syringes into their breast.  It was quite easy to do and it did work.  Both were sneezing, had discharges from nostrils, sounded very bubbly and raspy and looked like sad little birds.  I paid a little over £10 for the prescription.
Hope that helps a little.

xx
Antibiotics

Started by tracy66 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2011, 21:53
by tracy66
xx
Antibiotics.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2008, 19:19
by Aunt Sally
xx
Which one to buy... antibiotics....???

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 12:39
by Chookiechook
xx
my girls are now on antibiotics

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 08, 2008, 02:02
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 35 queries.