courgettes looking sad

• 12 Replies

wilj1

courgettes looking sad
« on: May 20, 2020, 14:51 »
I planted out my courgettes about 2 weeks ago and they do not appear to have grown very much and are looking a bit droopy. I have made sure they are watered and they are in good soil in a large pot. Might there be any reason for them not growing as in the past they have been very healthy and productive?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: courgettes looking sad
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 16:05 »
Hard to believe it given today's weather, but could they have been damaged by the frost which affected many places last week?

If you didn't notice them drooping at the time, and given they have been well watered, there could be a problem with the roots, especially if you are using the same soil as last year.

Another possibility - is there any sign of slug damage to the stems?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 16:29 »
If they went out 2 weeks ago I would reckon they were hit by frost. Don’t worry just sow a couple more seeds they will grow rapidly in present conditions and provide back up or succession.
Keep digging

wighty

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 21:01 »
Courgettes are the one plant that I have failed with for the last four years.  New seed, germinated, planted out and nothing, if I do get get anything it's only male flowers.   I'm wondering whether to bother again.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 22:04 »
Mine have not germinated (duff seed I think). There is time to resow though.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 11:04 »
Courgettes are the one plant that I have failed with for the last four years.  New seed, germinated, planted out and nothing, if I do get get anything it's only male flowers.   I'm wondering whether to bother again.
Hi wighty, how's things? Mine are always like that too. 3 plants last year 1 courgette that I let grow to Marrow size just so I could get the best value from it!
I've sown a dozen seeds this year and so far, 4 weeks on, just one has germinated. And that looks a bit sorry for itself.
All the seeds were sown on their edge, as recommended. It's very frustrating!
IMG_20200521_110050752_HDR.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 12:14 »
I find most cucurbit seeds (especially old seed) can be prone to rotting off even having germinated (but before they break the soil surface.)

Think it's important not to over-water after the initial sowing and watering.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 14:09 »
I find most cucurbit seeds (especially old seed) can be prone to rotting off even having germinated (but before they break the soil surface.)

Thanks, I bought that particular seed Black something, a climber, this year. None of the original batch (6) germinated and the supplier sent me some more. That is the only one to break the surface. I haven't, in my mind, over watered but perhaps next time I'll go for every other day instead of every day.

Off to sow some more carrots...

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 20:55 »

Thanks, I bought that particular seed Black something, a climber, this year. None of the original batch (6) germinated and the supplier sent me some more. That is the only one to break the surface. I haven't, in my mind, over watered but perhaps next time I'll go for every other day instead of every day.

Off to sow some more carrots...

You could try chitting the seeds first, just pop in an old marg tub with some damp kitchen paper and put somewhere warm. They should sprout in a couple of days and then pop into pots. I find them more prone to rotting when put straight into soil, maybe there are more fungus around to attack them.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 21:37 »

You could try chitting the seeds first, just pop in an old marg tub with some damp kitchen paper and put somewhere warm. They should sprout in a couple of days and then pop into pots. I find them more prone to rotting when put straight into soil, maybe there are more fungus around to attack them.

That's a good idea, thanks. I have 2 seeds left!

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 10:06 »
If the variety is black beauty, I planted some of these this year. The seed was old, and out of three planted, one rotted, but the other two took well over 2 weeks to break the surface. I kept them moist and warm. The other courgette seeds, golden something, all came up within a few days and are now in the allotment getting very large.  The Blank beauty are still quite small and taking their time to get going.

wilj1

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 15:10 »
Thank you everyone for these comments. Since the sunshine they are looking much better so perhaps they got too cold. Looking forward to being able to harvest some later in the season

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 10:53 »

That's a good idea, thanks. I have 2 seeds left!

Thank you, they have sprouted!!

xx
Help with courgettes

Started by emma178 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 10:21
by Kristen
xx
Courgettes

Started by Boothy on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 22:27
by chickchick
xx
Courgettes

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 19:47
by Pompey Spud
xx
Courgettes

Started by James on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 21, 2006, 22:58
by joolee

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 38 queries.