Potato Blight?

• 8 Replies

freefolk

• Experienced Member
Potato Blight?
« on: July 09, 2017, 12:19 »
Good morning,  I have attached (hopefully) a photo of a couple of leaves pulled from my 2 months old Maris Piper spuds.  Having never grown them before, is this blight (my neighbour isn't sure) or a result of very warm weather here in Hampshire?  All advice gratefully received.
Blight?.jpg

al78

Re: Potato Blight?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 00:38 »
It looks a bit like blight, but I would be surprised if it is. I know here in Sussex it has been bone dry all year,. normally blight manifests itself in warm damp conditions. I would think Hampshire has been similarly dry this year.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 07:10 »
the bottom leaf looks like blight. pull off any blighted leaves if not to many and see how it develops. if its blight it will spread quickly so cut all tops off.
what variety? some are more susceptible than others.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:07 »
This looks like early blight and you have no need to worry about it as it will not spread to the tubers. I am pretty certain it is not late blight.

freefolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 08:55 »
the bottom leaf looks like blight. pull off any blighted leaves if not to many and see how it develops. if its blight it will spread quickly so cut all tops off.

The leaves are recent, and mostly low down.  I have pulled them off and disposed of bagged up.  It is not on all plants.  They weather has been warm/hot and quite dry here in Hampshire since I panted these Maris Pipers on 3rd May this year.  They have been regularly watered p every other evening - but not over watered.  Hope this helps. :)

freefolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 08:56 »

Maris Piper, planted 3rd May.  Not on all plants.

AnneB

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 09:09 »
I agree with Salmo that it looks like early blight, also called alternaria, rather than late blight.   If it was late blight it would be spreading fairly rapidly, it usually does when my plants have ever had it.

Early blight is a bit unsightly and will reduce your yields a bit, but it isn't the very bad news of late blight.  I would try and keep it in check by removing affected leaves now, but there comes a point where doing this isn't effective as there won't be any leaves left.

Some varieties are more prone to Alternaria than others.  I am not sure about Maris Piper, but I have stopped growing Vivaldi because of it.

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 12:46 »

Although the weather is not conducive to blight development, by watering you may be creating a microclimate that is. Blight thrives in high temperatures and high humidity.

Water well and not too often. Water the soil so that the leaves are not wetted.

freefolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 16:44 »

Although the weather is not conducive to blight development, by watering you may be creating a microclimate that is. Blight thrives in high temperatures and high humidity.

Water well and not too often. Water the soil so that the leaves are not wetted.
I have been watering with a hose... :( I shall change to a watering can and just do the soil at the bottom where they are earthed up and see how that looks in a week or two.  May I just say a big thank you for all the advice. :) :)

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Help with potato blight please

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2014, 13:47
by Christine
clip
potato blight

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2015, 01:17
by Anton
grin
Potato Blight

Started by brian17 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 11:43
by DD.

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 34 queries.