Runner Bean query

• 14 Replies

zucchiniqueen

Runner Bean query
« on: April 27, 2008, 20:51 »
Hi. This is probably a naive question, but I am trying to adjust from Australian gardening to UK gardening!
At home, I would leave my runner beans in over winter, and they would usually come up and fruit for 2 or 3 years. Can I expect this to happen in the UK? We grew them from seed last year, and left them in over winter, but everything is very quiet so far....
Thanks in advance for your help

gobs

Runner Bean query
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 20:59 »
Might happen, depending where you are - might want to let us know :wink:  -, but most parts you shouldn't really count on it much, I'm afraid.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

dereklane

• Experienced Member
Runner Bean query
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 21:00 »
Hi,

I'm from there, but never grew beans in winter (frost kills them) - where are you from? Even west of Brisbane we got at least a few hard frosts in the winter. I did grow peas in the winter though - not enough frost to bother peas, and of course, its the only time its cool enough to get them going.

Pretty much everything you grow (bar rosemary and other frost hardy herbs) is grown as an annual, even if its not. Runner beans, french beans, etc, will last to the first hard frost and then that's it. Plant again next year (I'll be sowing mine next week).

cheers,

derek

zucchiniqueen

thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 21:07 »
wow! Quick replies - thanks so much. I probably wasn't very clear - the beans grew in summer, then overwintered in teh ground, and just grew again the next summer (Tassie & Melbourne).
Anyway, sounds like it was a bit optimistic, and I better get some in the ground!
Thanks for your help

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Runner Bean query
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 21:11 »
They can survive over winter in this country, but it's very hit & miss. Had a couple re-emerge last year. It is how ever far easier to treat them as annuals & dig the roots in for their nitrogen.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Runner Bean query
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 21:25 »
Hi zucchiniqueen welcome to the forums, don't plant 'em outside just yet, we may get a frost. mine will be started in the greenhouse in about a fortnight. Depends where you are in the country ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

dereklane

• Experienced Member
Runner Bean query
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 21:29 »
I had no idea they could do that DD - mine looked wrecked after a week of hard frosts in mid-September last year (buxton). And Tassie is definitely colder in winter than west of Brisbane, though Melbourne might be less frost prone (I've lived in Collingwood and East Brunswick) than out near Laidley (lots of -5 nights there)...

I don't think I ever tried beans in winter in Oz, it was enough my dad said it was the wrong time for me not to ever try...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Runner Bean query
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 21:49 »
Quote from: "dereklane"
I had no idea they could do that DD - mine looked wrecked after a week of hard frosts in mid-September last year (buxton). And Tassie is definitely colder in winter than west of Brisbane, though Melbourne might be less frost prone (I've lived in Collingwood and East Brunswick) than out near Laidley (lots of -5 nights there)...

I don't think I ever tried beans in winter in Oz, it was enough my dad said it was the wrong time for me not to ever try...

Sure the foliage will get killed at the first whiff of frost, but it will take more to kill the roots.

Its really not worth (IMO) cosseting the roots over winter, when you can simply dob in more beans come spring!

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
Runner Bean query
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 21:57 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Hi zucchiniqueen welcome to the forums, don't plant 'em outside just yet, we may get a frost. mine will be started in the greenhouse in about a fortnight. Depends where you are in the country ?

Oh dear. Just planted mine today. But with a baby due in a week, I figure I might as well bung as much as I can in the ground now and hope it survives a bit of May neglect...

gobs

Runner Bean query
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 22:05 »
Quote from: "littlelisa"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Oh dear. Just planted mine today. But with a baby due in a week, I figure I might as well bung as much as I can in the ground now and hope it survives a bit of May neglect...

Put a fleece over them, Lisa, you might well get away with it in London. :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Runner Bean query
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 22:17 »
I planted mine out at the beginning of May last year and got away with it.  I did put fleece on themas gobs sugests.  I seems to be a colder spring this year so I think fleece would be a really good idea.

Have you planted the beans or set out growing bean plants littlelisa ?

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
Runner Bean query
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 22:18 »
Thanks gobs :-)

weeeed

Runner Bean query
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 22:22 »
I think I'm going to have to put mine out and wrap them in fleece! My kitchen now looks like land of the triffids! The beans are grwing up and round everything. Have to keep counting the dogs just to make sure!! :oops:  :lol:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

zucchiniqueen

Thanks!
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 20:25 »
Quote from: "weeeed"
I think I'm going to have to put mine out and wrap them in fleece! My kitchen now looks like land of the triffids! The beans are grwing up and round everything. Have to keep counting the dogs just to make sure!! :oops:  :lol:

Thanks everyone for the advice - looks like I should have a back-up plan. My kitchen sounds alot like Weeeeds - I sure hope I can get some of these seedlings out soon, or there'll be no room for us!

gobs

Runner Bean query
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 20:52 »
Quote from: "weeeed"

Now you've revealed the horrible truth about sowing runners early. :wink:  :lol:

xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
clip
Broad bean query...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 01, 2015, 15:10
by Growster...
xx
Unusual Broad Bean Query

Started by Natasha on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 29, 2015, 09:13
by Natasha

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 28 queries.