I've got chicks! Following on from yesterdays posts!

• 14 Replies

indigo

« on: September 29, 2011, 19:16 »
Hi
 I have had a broody hen sat on 6 eggs for three weeks today. I had to throw one away because it went bad. One of the eggs is hatching now - has been for a few hours. I had checked on and off all day - and when i looked at 3 oclock, one was outfrom under the hen and partly hatched. She has had it under her and then pushed it out. She has got the other eggs still under her. I thought they hatched out under the hen. Is this normal - do you think she is rejecting it. I have just had a look and i can see the chick and he chirped! The shell is most of the way off - but there is a white membrane left except for a hole about the size of a 20p piece (which is where i can see the chick). Shall i just leave it and see what happens. this is my first go at hatching with a hen - very nervous!!

bantam novice

Re: egg hatching - hen doesnt seem interested
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 19:30 »
Hello Indigo,
I am not an expert and I'm sure that someone more experienced will be along to advise you.  My instinct is to leave the chick.  Mother hen probably needs to give it some space to hatch out.  I think that once it is out it will go under broody mother.  It is very tempting but I would leave it/them until broody hen decides to lead it/them out of the coop.
Good luck and keep us posted.  We love pics on this website too  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

indigo

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 19:41 »
Hi
thanks for that - the only other thing is its dark now and the temperature is dropping - and she hasnt pulled it under her.  He still isnt out of the shell although the hole does look bigger.  If he was out and she hadnt taken any notice i would bring him in and put him under a lamp.  But as he still hasnt hatched, dont like to do it.  I havent got any electric in the coop they are in.  I just dont want him to die needlessly.
Thanks again

indigo

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 20:37 »
Hi
Just been out again now - the egg and chick are really cold and couldnt see any sign of movement - think he has died - i'm gutted. I have put him under his mum along with the other eggs, but dont think its going to do any good.  Have i done the right thing  - i didnt poke at the egg, just put it under her. Do you think there is any chance at all.

indigo

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:46 »
Hi
Went out first thing this morning. As i said i put the egg/chick back under her last night even though it was cold.  When i went out this morning, she had pushed it back out from under her.  It is stone cold and not moving.  Why would she have done that - is she not going to be a good mother? Could she tell if there was something wrong with it - although I can see feathers and a little foot - so it looks as though he had formed alright.  There is another egg pipping now.  I just hope she doesnt do the same with this one.  I can get a lamp incase it is needed - just hope I dont have to.  Would like her to hatch her little family and look after them properly.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:52 »
They sometimes reject chicks if there is a problem with it.
I have only hatched chicks under a broody once. My broody hen rejected and killed the first chick ( when it hatched it was quite blooming) I think what she did was for the best as all the other chicks were fine.
I really hope the rest of the hatch goes well and you have some fluffy chicks to show us all
soon.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 08:02 »
you are best not to interfere with the broody or the eggs in the last day or so running up to hatch day, although this bit of advice has sadly come a little bit too late for your little one. The reason for this is that a lot of wild animals will sooner kill their young rather than let a predator take them and hens can sometimes see you as a predator.
Some hens especially young hens when hatching for the first time do seem a little bit awed by the whole situation and for some reason think that the chick that hatches is an intruder and will kill them which is probably what happened to yours and JaK's. When using broodies especially those that are new to hatching it is best to always have a brooder box or electric hen on standby just in case.
Staffies are softer than you think.

indigo

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 09:52 »
Hi
Thanks for the replies.  I wont go near her today - although what if she has pushed the one that is pipping, out from under her. Shall i just have a quick peep - or leave her to it - and hope for the best.  i have still left the one that didnt hatch in the nesting box  (hoping for a miracle!) Shall i get that out asap - or wont it hurt.  Dont want it going rotten in there - especially in this heat.

indigo

I've got chicks!!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 18:23 »
Hi
I've got chicks!!!!!
After my posts yesterday, i was really worried that i wouldnt get any live chicks.  I saw that one had pipped at 7 this morning, and when she got off to eat, I had another look and could hear it cheeping! I could hear tapping coming from one of the other eggs.  So i have left her all day and checked on her about 5.30.  I could hear a chirping coming from under her.  Dont know if its one or two although she did have 4 eggs left under her.  My next question is how soon can i lift her to have a look how many are there and if they are alright. So excited!!

indigo

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 18:26 »
I've got chicks!!!!!
After my posts yesterday, i was really worried that i wouldnt get any live chicks.  I saw that one had pipped at 7 this morning, and when she got off to eat, I had another look and could hear it cheeping! I could hear tapping coming from one of the other eggs.  So i have left her all day and checked on her about 5.30.  I could hear a chirping coming from under her.  Dont know if its one or two although she did have 4 eggs left under her.  My next question is how soon can i lift her to have a look how many are there and if they are alright. So excited!!

Helenaj

Re: I've got chicks! Following on from yesterdays posts!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 18:30 »
Congratulations on your chickies - fab aren't they!

Try not to be too eager to disturb Mum as bonding has to take place between her and the chicks and if you disturb her too many times she may abandon them. Try and wait until she gets up for a drink and then you'll be able to watch them at leisure.

Also, don't be tempted to remove any unhatched eggs - she can tell whether they are alive or dead and will eventually push the dead eggs away.

indigo

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 20:19 »
hi
I havent had a look yet - very hard not to do! but did see a glimpse when i had a peek in! A very brief glimpse - more a fleeting shadow! But he is very vocal! Still not sure how many have hatched - but did see 2 unhatched eggs. Will have a look in the morning and let you know - and take some pics as well! Thanks to all who have given me so much help. x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 20:32 »
if you put a dish of chick crumb and a little chick drinker out in their run tomorrow then leave her alone - she will bring the chick/chicks out when she and they are ready. I know it is difficult to not interfere but you must really try not to.

NormandyMary

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 15:54 »
So excited for you Indigo. Congratulations.

indigo

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 16:37 »
thank you very much - its really great - but such a big learning curve! i am asking advice on here every step of the way! And getting great sound solid advice - really plesed with such great back up. I should be better next time! thanks again

xx
Posts duh!

Started by colliebird on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 13:01
by Vember
xx
Recurring Posts....

Started by kizza on The Hen House

56 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 18:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 38 queries.