spring greens,too late to sow seed?(and when's Wyvale sale)

• 5 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
I bought spring greens as small plants last year as  Iwas too late to sow, they were great, and very happy. I put them in very late if I rember, Oct I think when I was sowing the garlic too. i didn't have to net them so butterflys were gone!

Now I wish to grow some from seed, I haven't done it yet. I have looked and I have some cabbage seed (for the pound shop 6 variety pack) which I wondered if that would be ok and just harvest it early. (the ones I had last year were pointy and yummy!)  or do I need a special kind??

Also am I too late to sow kale seed and purple sprouting brocoli, mine all got got  by the blummin cabbage whites.. I didn't net!
Do I need to buy plants?

Also does anyone remember when Wyvale do their 50p sale??? I did well with them last year! want to keep an eye out!

Elcie

Re: spring greens,too late to sow seed?(and when's Wyvale sa
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 20:04 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Also does anyone remember when Wyvale do their 50p sale??? I did well with them last year! want to keep an eye out!

Someone posted in the Frugal Living area.  It is on at the moment - I went there today and got lots of packs ready for next year!

allstars_princess

• Experienced Member
Wyevale sale
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 20:41 »
I don't know if any of you are near to me but the Wyevales at Keston has seeds for 25p per packet.  Loads of choice as well.  Have too many already for next year but could not resist some more.  :)

gobs

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 22:16 »
You will need a spring cabbage and just about can get away with it, the rest seem rather late to be sown now.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 01:41 »
The sale has started.  Went to the one in Worthing Saturday, loads there.  Not one packet of spring onion or lettuce though.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 07:49 »
Thanks all, will get off to Wyvale today then, shouldn't imagine much will be left after the bank holiday, but worth a look!!
Will plant some greens if I can find seeds, and buy plants of the other things. (might sow too, just to see if they catch up, I guess it depends on Sept weather)

Thanks all.
Lucy
x
ETA- Went to Wyevale, got lots of seeds, am very pleased, got nearly everything I wanted, stringless runners, yellow climbing beans, outdoor cucumbers, yellow corgettes, dwarf yellow beans, rainbow carrots and purple carrots, mustard green manure, kale and cabbage for next year.
Sadly no spring green seeds, so I will have to go to the local nursery  to look out some plants.

xx
Too late to sow cabbages for spring greens?

Started by toxorebel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 17:06
by toxorebel
xx
Spring Greens

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 23:39
by oakfairy
xx
Spring greens ??

Started by belto on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 15:22
by agapanthus
xx
Spring greens

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 22:01
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 37 queries.