Poll

Bare Soil During Winter Should Be....

Left open.
16 (53.3%)
Covered with a waterproof membrane.
4 (13.3%)
Covered with a permeable membrane.
4 (13.3%)
Other (Please specify by posting below.)
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: November 24, 2013, 16:19

cover with tarpaulin - Right Or Wrong?

• 29 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
cover with tarpaulin - Right Or Wrong?
« on: November 13, 2013, 22:33 »
I was worried about the nutrient leaching out of the bare soil over winter and so I covered the ground with waterproof tarpaulin - was this the right thing to do?

If not should I leave the soil bare or cover it with a permeable membrane?
CIMG6066_crop.jpg
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:41 by mumofstig »

peedee555

• Experienced Member
Re: Right Or Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 00:34 »
not sure if right or wrong but when ive covered it dosent seem to break down the clods as much as the uncovered stuff both grow as good as each other just harder to work the covered stuff

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:30 »
it can be either way to be honest - sometimes it's worth trying to see if it works for you.  Like you, some people think covering the soil keeps it warmer so worms and soil bacteria can get to work on any manure/compost you had dug in, others think it is a haven for slugs, snails, bugs and any other pest.  I found it compacted my heavy clay soil as water still managed to get underneath and puddle and then not so easy for wind to dry it off.  And as mentioned, deep penetrating frosts can do wonders for soil as well as kill off and reduce pest numbers.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00 »
Thanks for the replies.  :)

The soil on the plot is quite light and sandy (nice really) and I was thinking that the rain would be able to soak through the bare soil taking the nutrients with it, although another plot holder has echoed what is mentioned in the previous post that I am just making a haven for slugs and snails.

Other plots on the site have covered the soil but with a permeable membrane, I don't understand the reason for this, it still lets the rain though and keeps the frost off the soil so what is the advantage?

I do like the idea of the frost being allowed to do it's work so on reflection I think it will be best to remove it!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:38 »
Thanks for the replies.  :)

Other plots on the site have covered the soil but with a permeable membrane, I don't understand the reason for this, it still lets the rain though and keeps the frost off the soil so what is the advantage?

It does stop weeds growing over winter, and warms the soil, so you have a nice seed bed in spring.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:42 »
It does stop weeds growing over winter, and warms the soil, so you have a nice seed bed in spring.

So do you think it is worth investing in some permeable membrane and covering the bare soil?

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
Re: cover with tarpaulin - Right Or Wrong?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:24 »
I was taught that in nature healthy soil is a living environment which needs moisture and air to thrive. Putting a waterproof membrane down would upset this balance.
The majority of nutrients locked in natural soil are in the bodies of the soil life, from bacteria to small mammals.See them as little bags of unopened fertiliser, they will not be washed away(although some of the carbon rich particles they feed on might do). The soil life goes more dormant over the winter, then it springs to life in the spring! As they eat, poo, die and reproduce, life in the soil provides available nutrients for plants. This process accelerates as the soil warms up,as long as there is available carbon in the form of organic matter, air and water in the soil.

Protecting the soil surface I think is a good idea. Soil life is less likely to thrive at the surface of bare soil, compared to the surface of a mulched soil where they are protected from drying out, the elements and predators.
Hardly ever in nature is there large areas of exposed soil. It either has stuff growing on it, or is covered in leaf litter.
Best way to mimic this is to either grow a green manure, or put down a mulch of organic matter.
Next best - a layer of permiable membrane.

I am looking at this from an organic point of view. Arguably the soil could always be left bare over the winter if a balanced fertiliser is going to provide soluble nutrients for your plants during the growing season. 
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 12:11 »
I always cover empty beds for th winter, using thivk black plastic sheeting weighted down with planks.

As long as the ground is wet enough when the plastic goes down, it does (as MumofStig said) create a good seed bed for the Spring. Any weeds that do germinate are weak and easily removed.

I add compost to the top layer in all except my carrot-bed-to-be or rottted manure if I have some. Worms take it in nicely.

Covering the soil like this saves it leaching nurients as the OP asked, and aslo prevents it become totally waterlogged.

Horses for courses -- other views are out there!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 16:13 »
Juries out on this one then.  :ohmy:

Based on the previous replies I have just been down and removed the tarp'  ::)

The soil is quite sandy and drains quickly so now worries about it getting water logged but because of this I was worried about nutrients leaching.

Can we put it to the vote?  ;) Whatever gets the most votes will decide if I put it back on or leave it off.

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 17:15 »
I'd say put it back over half the bed and see if it makes a difference next season.  :D

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 17:23 »
I'd say put it back over half the bed and see if it makes a difference next season.  :D

:D Sounds like a good plan.

Nobbie

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 17:44 »
On a sandy soil, I think a green manure over winter such as rye grass would be a good idea. Probably a bit late now though.

diospyros

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 18:40 »
Agreeing with the poster who said organic mulch or green manure, I have put a mulch of dead leaves on where I was too late/ran out of field beans.  I also believe that soil is a living thing and needs to be kept busy!

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 20:59 »
I leave it open or try to sow some green manure, but even  the green manure sold as "overwintering" isn't really working for me and is very thin and sparse.

I do try and dry the ground out asap in Spring so it will warm up.   So I will rush out in Feb/March with polythene if the soil has dried out a bit and heavy rain is predicted.  Then uncover it when the rain has passed.

My soil is clay which turns into replica of a 1st World War battlefield when soggy.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 21:09 »
I grew up on a farm and the farmer always told us that he did not believe in leaving bare ground over winter but being a mixed farm with sheep, cattle, pigs and crops it was easy to do. On my plot I either have green manure or a thick mulch of straw which can be pulled back in the spring for planting/sowing.

xx
tarpaulin???

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 16:52
by Jamrock
xx
Carpet tiles or tarpaulin?

Started by mrswashi on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post October 08, 2012, 15:12
by Moonshine132435
xx
Do I replace the Tarpaulin over my compost heap?

Started by Hesse2509 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 21:37
by Christine
angry
Nothing fits, it's all the wrong size and in the wrong place

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 11:52
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 42 queries.