Frozen eggs?

• 13 Replies

Happy-Hound

Frozen eggs?
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:24 »
I have 3 chickens, one black rock, one marans of sorts and a polish cross.  The black rock & marans were not old enough to lay when we got them and the polish stopped laying a few weeks ago.  We were a bit late cleaning them out this week and have discovered 11 frozen eggs in the coop.  They have layed under the perches and not in the nest boxes.  We didn't even think to look as we thought they wouldn't start until later in the year.  It's definitely them because of the egg colour.

So, my question is can we eat eggs that have been frozen and outside for a week?  Out of the 11, 6 are broken so they will be binned because of the contamination with poo but what about the rest?

Anyone know?  Many thanks.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Frozen eggs?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:28 »
owing to the long hours I sometimes work in this weather I have had several frozen eggs (craked but the membrane still intact) and we have eaten them but if they are oozing then best to bin them. However mine have laid them in the nest boxes and not under their perches. Perhaps you need to encourage your girls to lay in the correct place by placing dummy eggs in the nest boxes (or even a couple of golf balls would suffice). As you cannot be sure when they were laid (mine get collected daily) then I would bin this lot and start checking every day for fresh ones  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Happy-Hound

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:32 »
Thanks Joyfull.  We just didn't realise they were laying otherwise we would have checked every day.  I might just leave the uncracked ones and see what they look like when they are thawed.  I had a quick google search and there are a few articles which say you can freeze eggs so we'll see. 

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 14:50 »
I've been fetching frozen eggs out of the coop for 2 weeks now, we've eaten them and we're all still alive. It seems that them freezing has no effect on them at all. All 3 of my girls are still laying and some eggs are already frozen when I go out to them in a morning, so it cant be helped. I reckon you'll be fine providing they're not cracked and leaking x
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Happy-Hound

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 17:10 »
Hi carla, I think so too.  I've chucked the cracked ones.  I might test the others out on the dogs first!

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 23:05 »
What time of day are you collecting the eggs? I collect in the late afternoon when I give them their corn so about 3.30pm. We have had minus 18 C in this area at night and I've had no problems with frozen eggs except for the occasional one laid on the floor of the house that I've not noticed until the following day. As they are cracked because of he egg expanding inside the shell I've either chucked it away or given it to the dogs.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:11 »
I've been wondering why our eggs aren't frozen to be honest.  Everything else is :(
Dont understand it.  Even the poo in the nest boxes if frozen solid but the eggs are fine. I know there shouldn't be poo in the nest boxes, but they still sleep in there!

Doesn't it make poo picking easy? :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 11:30 »
thats why - your girls are sleeping on them  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 12:46 »
I've had 3 frozen eggs recently, but I think its where if rian goes up the houses in the afternoon to shut the girls up, he doesn't always look properly in the gloom and misses them, so they've been there all night!

But although the shells were cracked, like Joy said the membrane wasn't broken, so we had them scrambled for breakfast.  I'm still here (at the moment!) 

pigeonpie

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 12:51 »
We've found a few frozen eggs over the last couple of weeks, mostly when we haven't been able to collect the eggs during the day and so they have been there until early evening.  We also found a few in the old rabbit hutch that the girls have acquired as an extra laying coop, which we didn't realise was being used for a few days so the eggs had been out in the cold for a couple of days.
If they've popped then they get thrown, otherwise they get put in with our eggs, not the ones that we sell.  Between a hubbie that eats everything in sight and never gets ill and a labrador they soon get eaten and neither of them have shown any signs of ill health.
If in doubt, feed them to the o/h!
 ;)

Happy-Hound

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 13:36 »
I've collected one about 8 this morning which wasn't frozen but the white was a bit gloopy and then went back a bit later and got a warm one, yay!   The frozen ones had all been there several days as we didn't realise they were laying so I guess that's why they froze because they'd been out there so long.  One was in the nest box so either Marmite or Nutella has got it right, don't know which, the other was under the perch.  I have chucked them all this time just to be on the safe side because as my husband says "you don't want to be responsible for food poisoning at Christmas".  In the future though I have a wirehaired pointer who will eat anything so he will be happy if any more freeze.

Thanks for your help, Wendy

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 23:45 »
I have one or possibly two chickens who have started to lay,i found two eggs in my smaller coop,after that there was nothing,untill my daughter went in to muck out her horses stable and found 8 eggs,most of them were cracked by the frost,so i made an omlette and gave it to the dogs.

I will pick up a couple of dummy eggs to try and encourage the hens to lay in the nest boxes,the thought of scouring the stables,hay barn,storage barn and tack rooms every day for eggs is not apealling.

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 13:44 »
Update on my eggs

I went out today and had a good look around,i got suspicious when one of the girls ran out of the Hay barn,there i found 2 and one was warm so i guess they be very fresh,next i had a look in the tack room as the afore mentioned girl had made a bee line for it during the week,i gave it the once over and saw nothing,anyhow i had a closer look and there they were another 15 eggs,none of them are cracked and theres no poo or very little poo on them.I think that these are edible.

Now to try and encourage laying in the nest boxes :)

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 13:37 »
I've got 2 girls still laying most days and 2 girls who are just finishing moults and haven't laid since October.
The other day I was out by the coop and noticed one of the non-laying girls wasn't in the run.
'Oh good', thinks I, she's starting to lay again and must be in the nest box. Sure enough had a little peek and she was in there. BUT no egg when she came out later.
So I wondered, perhaps she's going in there to warm up her feet (she won't go out into the snow like the others and often stands on one leg to warm up her feet), but also might she be going in there to sit on the eggs the other 2 lay to warm them up and stop them freezing? I suppose if they were fertile someone in the flock would have to keep their temp above zero.
Anyone else's girls doing this?

xx
frozen eggs!

Started by massa on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 16:20
by daisy1990
xx
Frozen eggs?

Started by Happy-Hound on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 03, 2013, 13:10
by Loulih
xx
frozen drinkers

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post December 22, 2010, 15:45
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
Frozen water

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 28, 2016, 21:26
by Frizzle1

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 36 queries.