rusty garlic

• 10 Replies

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
rusty garlic
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:33 »
All of my garlic is covered in rust, it seems like everyone else's on the site is too, but I mean plastered with it.  Any ideas why this would be?  I didn't get it in early enough because I was still digging the site over so it's not split either which is a bit of a shame.  What varieties do people have most success with?  Garlic is the one thing above all else that I want to grow because I use tons of it & without an Asian grocers close by it becomes really expensive to buy.

jb

• Experienced Member
Re: rusty garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 23:13 »
One patch of my garlic is also smothered in rust but having pulled some, the bulbs and inner leaves are untouched despite the horrific appearance of the outer leaves so don't worry about that too much. It's presence is a mystery as I split my cloves between two beds in  the plot and the second patch is clear of the disease and neither had alliums in last year.
Despite the rust, purple wight has given me huge stinky bulbs (OH even mistook them for giant red onions when they were still in the ground), this year and solent wight also looks like it will give decent bulbs, less so red german.
Check previous posts as I am sure  someone has posted about preserving their crop in a similar way to the comercial lazy garlic which would be one way of deling with unsplit bulbs

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 09:31 »
I harvested my porcelain garlic (music) this morning and I am gutted. It had rust but that isn't the problem, 60% have rotted. Out of 100 bulbs I only got 40 and last year I lost 30% due to rotting. No idea what I am doing wrong... No chance of having any left to replant in October so I guess i will have to buy more for next year and hope for the best...

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 17:42 »
My Garlic was also covered in rust,but once the outer leaves were peeled away,no problems.
I also had quite a few rotted garlic(and onions),this was unfortunately caused by "white rot"
I looked it up on the net and found out it can stay in the soil for upto 18 years :(
The only thing i can find on the market  to help the situation is "armillatox"
Good luck

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 17:55 »
Unfortunately Armillatox is no longer legal to use on the soil, Mollusc  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 20:45 »
What causes it though is what I'd mostly like to find out, I have no interest in blasting it with chemicals  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 20:50 »
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profiles1100/leek_rust.asp

This relates to leek rust but I'd have thought garlic rust is of similar cause and prevention

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 22:41 »
My Garlic looks like its turning into my first growing failure.

The 4 i have pulled so far have been rotten expecting at least a 90% failure rate.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:22 »
Sorry to hear that   :(

The first one I pulled was like that, need to check the others at some point this week - had lovely garlic last year but it may have been the growing conditions this year as the others have said.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 08:34 »
Let us know how yours come out Yorkie, might go and have another looksy at mine today will also have a walk around the site and see how everone elses is coming along.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 13:30 »
mine were the same. The rust seemed to come from nowhere and then all my garlic was covered in it! I blame the alternating rain/sun/rain and high humidity from the last 3 weeks - perfect fungus weather!  :mad:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

xx
Rusty Garlic?

Started by Scotch Thistle on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 07:22
by sunshineband
xx
Rusty Garlic

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 21:06
by sawnee
xx
Garlic (rusty)

Started by EVIE on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 09:38
by anniel
xx
Rusty garlic

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 20:45
by catweazle

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 32 queries.