Garlic

• 11 Replies

FCG

Garlic
« on: June 27, 2008, 18:26 »
I have a bulb of barlic and i was wondering how to best give it to the chickens to help reduce the smell of their poop.

Should i crush a clove and put it in their water? Grind it up and put it in their food? I'm lost, so please help.

Yolky

Garlic
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 19:02 »
I just thought it was garlic powder bought from horsey type shops that you fed to chooks to help with the wiffs.

Kate and her Ducks

Garlic
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 19:09 »
Hi, Don't know the answer to your question, just thought I would ask how the first week or so with your girls has been?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

FCG

Garlic
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 19:37 »
Very good! They have been well behaved and are producing copious amounts of 'fertiliser'. Only had a few scares when i found them all on their coop with a dog barking from next door but they appear far too sensible to jump over as i have held each near the fence and gone 'this is not a good idea' very sternly.

They are eating out of my hand now (admittedly, only treats) but we are 'bonding' as you would say. It's quite fun holding them, but no sitting on me yet. I've kind of figured the personality -roughly- of each chook. Amber my Amberlink is the 'cool chick' who takes everything in her stride, Tarbuck is the female chicken equivalent of James May while Susie is the skittish 'Omg food, Omg grass, Omg that is a seagull' type.

Had next doors half feral cat come in today, which had the three of them in histerics before i could get out... but they saw the cat off with a united attack spearheaded by tarbuck which started with an almighty 'a-waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak' which threw me for a moment as i thought they where talking to each other. :D

All in all, great. Funny moment this morning when water had clogged their feeder and i stepped out to have Amber fly directly to me for food.

too many girls

Garlic
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 19:43 »
sounds like you and them are having fun........

Kate and her Ducks

Garlic
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 19:43 »
Sounds like you (and they) are loving it. Wish I knew who James May is :oops: . Sounds like they were heading for the safety of height rather than a bid for freedom with the dog barking :lol:

Miss Bean

Garlic
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 19:58 »
^^^ here's Jame May

V interested in the garlic idea... I was reading a letter in practical poultry (Sept 07) about garlic the other day... I must revisit that...
Lesley, loves growing beans!

Kate and her Ducks

Garlic
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 20:09 »
Oh, I do know who he is, well his face and what he does anyway :?

wighty

Garlic
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 20:21 »
James May is also known as 'Captain Slow' as any Top Gear viewer would tell you.

Nats

Garlic
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 20:51 »
To answer your question...a lot of the more experienced chicken keepers definitely use garlic powder (in their food if I remember correctly...)which they buy in bulk from horsey places..so I agree with you Yolky.

But as I only have 2 chickens I just put a garlic clove in their water once a week or so, and leave it in the container until they peck it out. I only crush it slightly with the side of a knife to let the flavour out though. That works fine as well!

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Garlic
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 22:46 »
I put gloves of garlic into the drinking water I also rub it along and at the end of the perches as the redmite don't like it up em! :wink:

Nats

Garlic
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 09:56 »
Ah that's a great tip about the perches KimT!! I hadn't heard that one...

xx
help on garlic please

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 21:30
by henamoured
xx
Garlic

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 06:16
by karlooben
xx
Raw garlic

Started by Beano on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 21:55
by orchardlady
xx
ACV and Garlic

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 12:58
by stan deakin

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 32 queries.