Ideal crop after peas

• 7 Replies

Beetroot queen

Ideal crop after peas
« on: June 11, 2009, 21:57 »
What have you found to be the best thing to put in after peas, not that i need it yet but i remember reading about all the stuff they leave in the soil, and wondered if another plant could benefit  :unsure:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Ideal crop after peas
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 22:01 »
Brassicas are a good one to follow peas as the roots have nodules that lock up the nitrogen.

Don't pull the pea roots up when finished, dig them in.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 22:03 »
do I just vut them at soil level, I havent managed to grow a cabbage yet, my garden ones last year started so well, and over the corse of three days they died.

We love cabbage in this house as well so some home grown would be a big bonus :happy:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 22:05 »
It's pretty traditional to put brassicas in after legumes as they benefit from the nitrogen in their root nodules  (cut the peas off at ground level don't dig up the roots).
So i make this the start of the brassica rotation for the rest of this year and the start of next. I transplant my autumn and winter cabbage, my PSB and sow swedes. and later I will sow the seed for early spring cabbage.

Other than that you could sow more peas or dwarf french beans or salad ....anything quick growing really :)

(sorry all already said above.ooops)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 22:07 »
It's pretty traditional to put brassicas in after legumes as they benefit from the nitrogen in their root nodules  (cut the peas off at ground level don't dig up the roots).
So i make this the start of the brassica rotation for the rest of this year and the start of next. I transplant my autumn and winter cabbage, my PSB and sow swedes. and later I will sow the seed for early spring cabbage.

Other than that you could sow more peas or dwarf french beans or salad ....anything quick growing really :)

(sorry all already said above.ooops)

when is the last opportunity to plant peas as we would love another lot as this lot have been fabulous  :happy:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 22:11 »
Get earlies such as Feltham First or Early Onward, Kelvedon Wonder are ok too...these are good to go till the end of june, and KW shows up to middle of July on packet I bought today
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 22:14 »
Get earlies such as Feltham First or Early Onward, Kelvedon Wonder are ok too...these are good to go till the end of june, and KW shows up to middle of July on packet I bought today

Thanks for that, I have some Feltham first in  :happy:

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 22:21 »
Early onward for me , and they wont be long now  :D

Ive still not decided whats going in after to.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

xx
second crop of peas is that normal?

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2018, 23:17
by LILLILEAF
xx
Ideal ph for brassica bed

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 21:08
by canwickplot
xx
Less than ideal brassica conditions

Started by mham73 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 15:42
by noshed
xx
ideal planting conditions

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 18:50
by DD.

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 35 queries.