Peppers

• 6 Replies

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
Peppers
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:30 »
My pepper planst grown from seed didnt get very big they were in a plastic greenhouse things, so as its been getting a bit chilly i have brought them in and put them on my windowsill... i now have 4 small peppers on them and more flowers... i have a couple of questions...

will they be ok indoors now and ripen ok on the windowsill?

And will they die over winter or last again next year?  i was told they will go 2 years if brought inside over winter?

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Re: Peppers
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:56 »
Never tried to overwinter sweet peppers (hopefully some one will come along with more experience) but I always keep chilli plants year to year.
Paul

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:16 »
Just reading one of my mags, and as I thought, but wasn't sure enough to post until now, they are woody perennials.  

Peter Seabrook says so therefore must be true. LOL.

He says bring into a conservatory or frost free greenhouse, keep the compost on the dry side, and they will crop pretty much year round.

In case you don't know as well, when they are indoors, tickle the inside of each flower with a small paintbrush, or whatever, to take the place of the insects which outdoors would do the pollinating.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:20 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 13:08 »
Should I pot on the plants each year?  I have pepper plants in my green house in 20 litre buckets.  See Pics towards the bottom of this post.

http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/2009/06/very-green-house.html

We have had a great crop of banana chilli and jalapeño as well as great green and red sweet chilli and I'd love to keep hold of all of these.  I had a plan to let the soil dry out a bit, prune them and wrap the buckets and plants in bubble wrap and keep them in the green house all winter. 

However the compost we grow the plants is well and truly spent.  The soil is full of roots and the plants are basically reliant on daily watering and weekly tomato feed to survive and keep fruiting and flowering.

The same is true of aubergine plants too (also in the same  buckets) but frankly I’m not fussed if they die this winter.  I'm not a fan!
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 15:04 »
I am going to try to overwinter a small chilli, a bulgarian pointy red pepper and an aubergine...which is also perennial :)
Will not be much room in the spare bedroom, but hey ho.....worth a try for an early start next year

Sal1610

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 20:52 »
I've over-wintered chilli peppers but never thought to try sweet peppers or aubergines - think my kitchen window sill might be a bit full!

sal

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 22:16 »
Well don't leave them in the garden whatever you do like I did last winter.    Last winter was harsh so mine didn't work.  Just remember when you are looking for room, how long it took you to try and germinate that pepper seed and when you did more because you got panicky about time and then the first ones come up and you had twice what you intended etc. OR is that just me LOL.

Seriously though how much easier would it be if you could just stick last years established plant out there.

I did read you get more peppers if you grow them indoors completely, I can't be doing with the little black flies again, although that year it could have been the cucks causing that.  That one year though I did do a pepper indoors I had stacks of peppers on it instead of the four or five this year.

xx
peppers help please

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 18:52
by Sal1610
xx
peppers

Started by newbiegrower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2007, 12:10
by newbiegrower
xx
Peppers

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2021, 20:08
by snowdrops
xx
Best peppers?

Started by Pimento on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 30, 2022, 18:27
by Pimento

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 30 queries.