Skinny chooks

• 4 Replies

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
Skinny chooks
« on: September 07, 2009, 14:13 »
Hi all

After a difficult summer with coccidiosis and infectious bronchitis  :( some of my younger birds are a bit underweight for my liking (no lice or red mite, and except for being skinny minnies they are perky and seem happy).  With the days drawing in and the mornings feeling rather nippy I am worried about them.  I have brought the scraggiest in for some extra TLC but I wondered if anyone had any advice for putting weight on them?

We have recently acquired a horse and he is underweight and we have him on a conditioning mix as recommended by the vet... does anyone know if there is anything similar available for chickens or is there a mix I could make up using pellets as a base?  They get mixed corn in the evenings and the young 'uns are still on growers pellets.  I'd be extremely grateful for any advice... I've read Foxy's winter tips (really helpful thanks Foxy  ::)) and I'm currently winterising their houses. 
Mad chicken woman

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Skinny chooks
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 14:20 »
I give mine (non-poultry) cat food when trying to get them through a moult with the least fuss and stress. Have heard it recommended for chooks getting over illness too.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 14:52 »
I too use tuna cat food when the chooks are a little unwell or I'm concerned about them. I also add a little poultry spice.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 15:40 »
Hey Sarah, my experience with chooks is limited to just over a month but I have ex-batts and the Smallholder Ex-Batts food (crumbs and pellets) is designed to promote weight gain and can (according to the info I have on it) be used as a conditioning feed for any poultry.

Might it be worth a try?

Amanda x

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 20:12 »
Thanks all - I will make them a yummy mix of tuna cat food and mash!  I have also added life guard vitamin stuff to their water.  Someone also said about wholemeal bread and butter, and fruit cake... maybe without the brandy??

Thanks again

Sarah

xx
skinny philip

Started by chickadizzle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 19:00
by chickadizzle
xx
Skinny chicks and no eggs

Started by chickadee11 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 20:54
by chickadee11
xx
Skinny Chook dribbling brown fluid.

Started by Karma on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 21, 2013, 08:24
by joyfull
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 38 queries.