Skinny chicks and no eggs

• 4 Replies

chickadee11

Skinny chicks and no eggs
« on: July 12, 2011, 21:44 »
Hello, more advice needed I'm afraid.  I have 2 ex bats about 2 1/2 yrs old and a Rhode Island Red which we found.  The Rhodie (Roxy) normally lays every day but the other two are less frequent, probably averaging about 15 eggs a week in total from the three of them.  Suddenly the egg production has slowed down massivley, we've only had about 6 eggs this week and only 2 in the past 4 days.  They are also very skinny (although the ex-bats always have been).  I haven't changed their food, they're on layers pellets.  Plus I give them about 1 1/2 egg cups of corn in the afternoon.  I sometimes put Apple Cider Vinegar in their water but that's about it.  They're in a large pen and seem happy enough, still dusting themselves and sunbathing in the pen etc. 
Any suggestions as to the problem?
It might just be the heat but I thought I'd ask the more experienced of your what you think.
C xx
Chick

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Skinny chicks and no eggs
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 21:57 »
actually 15 eggs a week from ex batts aged 2 1/2 and another bird of unknown agewas pretty good going. the weather could have something to do with it but it could also be their age.
When did you last worm them? and with what?
Staffies are softer than you think.

chickadee11

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:58 »
Oh blimey, now you mention it it's been about 3 months since I wormed them!  I'll start it tomorrow.  Normally I use Verm-X about every 6 weeks but I also have some Flubenvet (I think that's what it's called) so maybe I'll use that this time as it's been a while.  Can't believe I forgot...thank you for reminding me.

I know I've been spoilt with the number of eggs I've had off them...my friend gets about 3 a week from 2 chicks!  But I am a worrier and any change in them I get concerned.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:22 »
make sure you always use flubenvet as this is proven to work unlike the herbal stuff. This may be the reason or it could simply be their age  :)

chickadee11

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 20:54 »
okey dokey, will do. Thank you :)

Now have a chicken who may have been sitting on a perch in the hen house all day.  She looks ok, bright, alert etc.  Could she be broody?  she's one of the ex-bats.  Thought she was ill but she doesn't look ill.

xx
Eggs or day old chicks?

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 16:28
by joyfull
xx
do i get day old chicks or incubate own eggs??

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 09:39
by kimT
xx
switching chicks for eggs Q

Started by woodburner on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 16:07
by Bigblanch
xx
Marking eggs and chicks

Started by gsc on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 09:28
by gsc

Page created in 1.84 seconds with 37 queries.