When to start?

• 3 Replies

willdotcom

When to start?
« on: August 29, 2008, 16:58 »
Hey all.  I've been busy clearing my new, but heavily overgrown allotment for the past week and am as eager as a beaver to get sowing and growing.  Just wondering if I should leave the ground to rest for a while (spring) and see how many weeds pop back before starting.  I see a lot of people writing saying they intend to wait till the spring, but others saying that they are getting their winter lettuce type in now ... I'm new and feel I need a little helping hand.

My plot hasn't been used to at least 10 years and can't seem to find any info on the net on how to deal with an extreme case like this, any tips would be most welcome.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
When to start?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 17:52 »
It really depends on whether you want to grow over-wintering things such as winter cabbage, garlic etc.

If you're not too bothered with these plants, I'd leave the plot as it is - unless you want to sow a green manure to improve the fertility of the soil.  If you search for this on the forum, you should find some posts about it.

If you want to grow them, then go for it and keep weeding  :)

Edit: on reflection, it's always good to get something in just so you have some reward for your efforts.  You could always try short-growing crops such as radish, lettuce etc so you're eating soon.  

Also bear in mind that longer-lasting crops such as garlic will last into next year's growing season, so do enough plot planning before you put them in.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Pompey Spud

When to start?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 19:13 »
Evening Will

Good to hear from you. Where you from?

Personally, I'd prepare for next year by splitting your plot into 4 beds.

Plant Grazing Rye, a green manure into 3 of them. http://www.kingsseeds.com/kolist/1/VEGETABLES/V-G/GREEN+MANURES

This will help to get your soil back into a good condition.

While in the other bed, plant some Japanese Onions & Garlic to get cracking. They over-winter for a June + harvest.

In the meantime, prepare for next year with paths/compost bins/water but etc.

I only started in Feb this year with half a plot but was lucky to get the neighbouring other half. I'm no expert but carried out the advice given by the friendly lot on here & kept it simple.

It's worked for me. Good luck & enjoy.

PUP!
Top tip for camping....don't go.

willdotcom

When to start?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 10:03 »
Thanks very much, that's just the sort of helping advice I was looking for.  

Oh, Im in Bristol by the way.

Cheers again.

xx
Having to start all over again.......

Started by prestongirl82 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 20:20
by Ema
xx
Where to start...

Started by Arielf on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 12:28
by Arielf
xx
New and where to start?????????

Started by gem on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 18:53
by Ourveggiepatch
xx
Help!! Where do i start?

Started by summer-sun on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 20:55
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 29 queries.