Watercress from cuttings

• 5 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Watercress from cuttings
« on: February 10, 2012, 18:58 »
Has anyone else grown watercress from cuttings?  I read somewhere recently that you could start off cuttings in water from bags of supermarket watercress so I tried it and it works brilliantly.  Apparently you can then pot them up and stand the pots in water and grow loads of watercress this way.  I don't think I'll do this until the weather is milder but I think I will pot some up like that and also put the pots in the little artificial stream that flows into our pond.  But am I right in thinking there might be a problem with pests like liver fluke which could be harmful to health?

gobs

Re: Watercress from cuttings
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 19:11 »
I do not think you have much to worry. Not long ago we had a very in depth thread about this with some expert knowledge, do a search.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 19:11 »
Can't answer the technical water cress question but if all else fails try Land Cress which is just as hot and grows as normal.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 20:00 »
This came up on gardeners question time last week and unless you keep sheep liver fluke wont be a problem , bob flowerdew grows his in polystyrene trays floating in his water butts 
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:08 »
I also found this helpful article.  It doesn't look like a good idea to put a pot of watercress in the pond as the water isn't that clean so I'm going to go down the washing up bowl route.

http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/watercress-nasturtium-microphyllum-264

Kiki

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 16:47 »
I rooted watercress in a glass jar from a bunch bought from a greengrocer last year. |I planeted 6-8 rooted stems  in  12" pot, dug a deep hole in a shadey, wind protected bed, placed a drip tray/plastic saucer thing at the bottom of the hole to imped drainage, put the pot on it and filled round it. It grew really well and I had fresh watercress until Feb when -5 degree frosts for a week killed it. I will do this again in spring but plan for 4 pots as we eat lots of the stuff. Nothing ventured nothing gained :)

xx
Watercress

Started by jhub on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 17:27
by allotmentann
xx
Watercress

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 04, 2011, 22:18
by Kiki
xx
Watercress

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 12:57
by GreenOwl
xx
watercress

Started by jean48 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 13, 2007, 12:47
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 29 queries.